What does "Triple Rectifier" mean?

Dual Rectifier refers to the fact that the amp has a switch that selects between two options: tube rectification and solid state (silicone diode) rectification. The former has a saggier and the latter a bolder tone/feel/output.

Do Triple Rectifiers have a third option to that switch? Or is the name Triple just a marketing thing possibly related to the fact that, AFAIK, the first Dual Rectifiers only had two channels and Triples added the third channel?

Edit: Looking at the Triple Rec manual, there is definitely no third option on the rectifier selection switch. But it still remains a little unclear what the name refers to. From what I’m gathering, it could be that there are a total of three rectifier tubes, as opposed to Dual Rec’s two tubes. But if anyone knows for certain, I’d appreciate the knowledge!

2 Likes

This may help:

http://carlscustomamps.com/double-and-triple-rectifiers-in-guitar-amps-what-are-they

Thanks and sorry, it didn’t really touch on this particular question.

The way I understand it, ‘Dual Rectifier’ means two different things:

1. Option of solid state (diode) or tube rectification
  2. Two rectifier tubes instead of one. Each rectifier tube can handle 50 watts, and the Dual Rectifier has 100 watts of output power.

The Triple Rectifier only corresponds to the second explanation: It has two more output tubes for a total of 150 watts, and thus requires three rectifier tubes to handle the current.

In other words, your explanation is correct.

3 Likes