What is holding my picking back?

Hi!

One thing that has been troubling me for a long time is my lack of picking hand endurance. Im pretty happy with my picking in terms of general feel and playability. Im using (or aiming to use) USX in the style of Yngwie and EJ and think I do it pretty well for my needs. However, when I attempt to play the solo to Highway star (16th notes at 172 bpm) I fatigue quickly and start tensing up. I try to stay relaxed but can only play short bursts without tensing up.

In this video clip I play pretty much as fast as I can (maybe 16th-note triplets at 116 bpm or so) so you can see what my motion looks like. Upon seeing the video myself I was surprised to see that my picking hand looks very stiff (like Im using my elbow or something). Im aiming to use a forearm/wrist mechanic but it seems like I use less forearm rotation when I reach my higher speeds. My goal is to be able pick at reasonably high speeds without tensing up or fatiguing. If I could play songs like Highway Star, Misirlou or Burn I would be thrilled! I`m helpful for any help or feedback.

These are my questions:

1. Which motion(s) am I using?

2. How can I develop more endurance?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Are you playing at your limit in the video?

Yeah, pretty much. I could probably play a bit faster but not significantly so.

Hi! Great playing! Yes this looks like more elbow than rotation. You can also see that the picking motion looks almost more like DSX than USX. Since elbow is USX only, that is probably where that movements comes from.

I saw that you wrote in another thread about rotation so i guess you have read what we discussed there. But here is a video that I made a while ago that describes my version of the motion more in detail. I’m not sure if it is of interest but anyway…

1 Like

Thanks qwertygitarr! I admire your forearm rotation technique and would like to be able to play like that myself. For some reason it just doesn’t work.

Thanks! I’m sure there is a way. First of all, can you do the rotational motion in the air? What happens when you transfer that motion onto the guitar?

Hi! Thanks for posting. And good playing so far. Good news: you are further along than lots of players, with good hand synchronization and generally clean lines. This is not a case of a picking motion that’s failing. It’s a case of potentially trading in a good motion for a better one.

I know I’ve been a broken record about this lately, but if you have any question about your ability to play speedy things, or you’re unsatisfied with where you’re at in terms of speed or smoothness, the first step should be testing your physical motions:

The idea is that if you don’t know what your actual limits are, then you really can’t tell if your current technique is near those limits or not. Not only that, but if you’ve never experienced what fast tension-free movement feels like, then it’s hard to know if you’re even doing it right. The tests give you a shot at experiencing that without the complexity of the guitar.

Here’s one of the tests which we put up on YouTube:

This is a simulation of Van Halen-style wrist motion, which is typically performed with a middle- or three-finger grip on a guitar. The idea is not necessarily that this is a technique you’re going to switch to, but that it’s an easy motion to simulate on a table top with simple props. And most people are pretty good at it just from a lifetime of similar everyday activities. So it can be a realistic assessment of what fast motion feels like when done smoothly.

If this tests registers faster, smoother, or more relaxed than your actual playing, then you know you probably have more in the tank with the instrument in your hands. The solution is to experiment with different techniques until the motion on the guitar feels in the ballpark of the motion on the table in terms of smoothness and speed. And if the test went well, this EVH motion might not be a bad one to throw in the mix, grip and all.

As to @qwertygitarr’s picking motion, it is a thing of beauty. But the good news is that lots of joints can operate at that level of smoothness and speed. We’ve seen awesome results from every possible joint motion, including ones like elbow which for whatever reason sometimes get an undeserved bad rap.

The fastest route to improvement is to go with whichever technique is working best right now. Which means trying out as many different ways to move until you find one which feels “table-top smooth”. As you experiment, try to set prejuduce aside, especially visual prejudice. It doesn’t matter if it looks “stiff”. We hear that constantly. Instead, it only matters what it feels like. If it’s fast and fluid and sounds great, then that’s a motion that is working.

Yes, I can do the motion in the air. When I try to transfer it onto the guitar it just falls apart. I try to emulate what you’re doing but I can’t seem to make it work.

Thanks for replying, Troy! I have tried the speed tests and I when I do the various motions on the table top they work fine. For example the The EVH-style wrist motion feels easy at 200 bpm, so does the elbow motion. This is all great! However, as soon as I try to transfer the motions to the actual guitar they stop working as smoothly. On the guitar, 16th notes at 160 bpm seems to be my comfortable limit with a lot of these motions before I start tensing up.

You have to keep trying until you can replicate the easyness of the test on the guitar itself. That’s the hint. Repeating 160 forever isn’t going to get any better.

Here’s one idea we came up with for doing that. Give this a shot with your EVH type motion and see if this works:

If it feels like a puzzle or a trick where you sometimes get it and sometimes don’t, that’s good — you’re on the right track.

Hey @Pemali, can you describe exactly how it falls apart? Perhaps posting a short video link as well. For me, “falling apart” meant that some notes hit the string, and others not, and the rotation didn’t feel like a controlled technique, just a wild wiggling of the forearm. Examining and coming up with hypotheses about where it’s failing may help us/you find the adjustments you need. Cheers! z