What picks are you using?

I don’t care for th TAD shape. I’d be a TD Guy. That’s like a standard shaped pick.
How does the material flex? Typically I use 1.5 mm picks which as you know are pretty stiff. But the blue chip material “looks” stiffer than a typical pick. Probably just my eyes playing tricks on me. Lol

The TAD shape is the same as the the TD shape but with the extra tips.
Just takes an hour or so to get used to this, after that it feels the same as a normal shaped pick.
The material is pretty stiff, but notvstiffer then most 1.5 to 2,0 mm picks.

At the moment I have no idea, as I got them only a couple of days ago. But I would guess that you can estimate the duration depending on the color of the tip, which tells you which material it’s made of. That being said, I haven’t yet found a precise list of all the materials they use and the corresponding colour, but I did not spend much time searching!

if you wanna get rid of yours, go to my pick trading thread :wink:

I played Tortex sharp 1.14mm for years. Some months ago I thought I’d try some different picks to see if there is some improvement/change in my picking technique.

I can definitely recommend to try different picks AND keep practicing with different picks from time to time. If your stuck with one exercise, just take a different pick for some minutes, sometimes helps me to break some kind of a “day-barrier” (meaning I can’t get some exercise up to speeds I usually manage to play).

So at the moment my main Picks are Ultex Jazz III XL. They play a bit easier than the Tortex sharps, because the tip is pointy, but not as pointy as the sharp picks. For faster stuff I sometimes change to the red Jazz III XL-picks (Is that Nylon?), because they have a more crisp attack, so fast stuff on the lower strings is a bit more precise (tone-wise). Still I like the smoothness of the Ultex on higher strings.

I tried the black Jazz III-Max Grips and keep using them from time to time. I think they are to small for my large hands, but this really stirs up my playing in practice sessions, when I feel stuck.

Funny thing is, that I somtimes feel like going back to the Tortex sharps and might do that someday, when I reached my “alternate-picking-goals”. (To be honest that will never be the case, as my goal is “faster-faster-faster” :wink:

Just my 2 cents about Picks…
Tom

2 Likes

Won’t blame you… this time. :yum:

That said, I’ve just received a pack of 208s. And they’re pretty big: slightly bigger than a Jazz III XL and wider, but not as wide as the Primetone Small Tris. It’s something I like, as one of my favourite pick shapes is the Ibanez small teardrop shape with its wide shoulders. I’d probably be interested in testing the smaller Flow ones, but considering the price in Europe of the Primetone picks, I’m afraid the Flow picks won’t be cheap either. :sweat_smile:

They’re scheduled for April according to Dunlop’s website. Once again NAMM confirms its acronym: Not Available, Maybe May. :grin:

1 Like

Bump!

In the end I bit the bullet on Flow picks as they’re not as expensive as Primetone ones (still not cheap!)… save for the signature versions that gives you half as many picks as the non-signature ones for the same amount of money. I was shopping for some stuff on Thomann and saw they were available so I added a pack of Standard 2.0 and 1.5mm picks.

So far I’m gelling well with the 2.0: to me it falls somewhere in between the Ultex Jazz III XL and the JD Jazz Tone 208, which were the two picks I was currently using.

I bought all the Flow picks and so far 2mm is my favourite. The jumbo ones feel a bit too big for me.

I like the gravity jSH the red ones …but when u do pick scrapes it chews the sides up.

S…unpolished ! And dragan hart … Is up beside it !!!

1 Like

Since an week or so i m playing with the new Dunlop Flow signature picks, and they are awesome!
I have the Andy James and the Petrucci model, which are bassicaly the same, the Petrucci one is a little bit smaller.
Don’t know which one i like best but i am tending towards the Petrucci model.
Awesome picks, try them!

2 Likes

Yeah the Flow picks are great, my favourites. I’m still using them!

3 Likes

Oh cool, I tried to order the flow picks a while ago (in the UK) but was told they were unavailable for an indefinite time. Will have a look again!

Are they very similar in feel to the dunlop 208?

The Andy James model is almost the same size as the 208. It has a little bit more pointy tip and the bevel is larger.
They are of different material (Ultex) and therefore have a different sound.
They feel different, have a nice balanced tone and a bit more grip also. To me they are better then the 208.

2 Likes

So after using the Jazz III picks pictured above, I saw an improvement in my speed. I’ve been using them the last six months, but when my local shop was out of them I tried a Jazz III variety pack and found my new favorite, which actually improved my speed more: The Ultex Jazz III

jazzIII

3 Likes

I’ve switched back to the red dunlop Jazz III picks because the tone is much better than the Ultex, even though the ultex may be a bit faster playing.

CoolPhatCat1

I’ve been using these lately and really dig them, they’re Phat Cat Cool Picks. They’re hard nylon and have a nice thuck to the tone. I prefer the 1.50mm. They’re a bit bigger than a Jazz XL, almost the size of a standard pick. Totally recommended.

they look like the Snarling Dogs Brain picks, which also are nylon and have a cats tongue grip. They’re probably all made by the same place.

I have lots of interesting picks (usually Dunlop, Swiss, and PickBoy), but I decided that I need to standardize on ONE pick, only, where it comes from a major manufacturer, is inexpensive, and likely to stay in production for a long time; I somewhat randomly switched to Dunlop Flow 2.0mm picks, ordered a few 24 packs of them, and mailed all of my other picks to my nephew (he’s learning guitar).

Where do you get PickBoy picks from? Are you in Europe? I got some from a shop in the UK years ago and really liked them, but haven’t been able to get them since. I see them for sale on eBay but they are ridiculously expensive, I know they’re imported from Japan but I’m not paying £7 or £8 for a single celluloid or nylon pick!

I got them in local stores (in the San Francisco Bay Area), and it’s under $1/pick. I think that this might be a good way to get them, but I’m not sure:

http://www.osiamo.com/osiamohome/himodulus

1 Like