What picks are you using?

Saw these Chicken Picks in my local shop, I’m dying to try them, but currently having to rest up due to hand/arm issues (just a pinched nerve I hope!). I swear I can hear them call me from the sofa… I may give in to the temptation!

Chicken picks are cool! I like the Jazz III style ones the best.

Currently using these:

Does anyone know of anything that is longer (not thicker), that isn’t too expensive?

I am tempted to use a 3D printing service to create something longer.

The longer picks just seem easier to double-escape, at least for me.

I was going to pick some of them up actually, in 2mm and 1mm.

Do you mean longer but the same shape and with the beveled edges?

I guess it doesn’t have to have the same shape. But with larger picks, it tends to work better if they are a bit thicker/stiffer, and if a pick is thick, I’d prefer it have a bit of a beveled edge. I’m willing to try almost any material, nylon, tortex, wood, plastic. I just wanna try it to see how it feels.

So I tried them out…the shredder (3mm on the right) was a lot like the JP Flow in terms of feel- glided across the strings effortlessly, but what I found was that the quality of note ‘bloom’ was poor and was akin to rubbing the string as opposed to plucking it. The difference unplugged was even more pronounced. I could play with my usual Dava and hear the the note pitches as clear as day until I switched to the Chicken pick Shredder - all the notes just disappeared!!!

The Jazz type pick on the otherhand was very bright in tone and note ‘bloom’. As expected with tough thick pick, there was a fair bit of chirp - a tad more than the Dava and at the etreme of what I can tolerate, felt great on the thinner strings - lots of attack and speedy. This would have been an outright winner for shred if it werent for the scrapey feeling on the bass strings. Feels disgusting and puts me off. Shame really. I suppose my question is do I hust suck it up and get used to it?? Or just stick to the Dava???

1 Like

Dava are hard to beat - very underrated picks.

Recently started using 2.0mm Ernie Ball prodigy minis. Great picks.

1 Like

After searching high & low on the internet for xtra-long picks, I’ve given up. I feel like I’m shopping for shoes in a size that nobody has. I think I am going to just 3d print them. I honestly don’t know what service to use, so if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

This guy did it, and he says it ends up being 10 cents a pick & they are very durable. But I assume he has his own printer.

1 Like

ok, I went ahead and ordered some 3d-printed picks. This is my first time using a 3d-printer service, so I have no idea how it will turn out. But I am using sculpteo.com, since it seemed cheap, and you can choose pretty much any material. I chose vinyl.

I’m sure any 3d program is fine, but I just used 3dsmax to create it, I started with a beveled/chamfered cylinder, and deformed it to the shape I wanted. I stacked 3 different sizes on top of eachother. They’re really massive, and I’m not an engineer, so I have no idea how stiff/strong they will be. But it comes out to ~ $1.00 a pick (with coupon).

Here’s a pic of their dashboard:

1 Like

What a dizzying array of variety here.

I used to like the Jazz III reds.
Now I just use these exclusively. I seem to be the one here with these. I like the slippery round edge, they wear in rather quickly these days, but they’re cheap enough and sound perfect for my needs, I some times slash them with a penknife for a better grip if the humidity is very low. Though the last bag of 72 I got were stamped logos, not the screen printed variety, I must have got lucky.

1 Like

Dunlop are now making the flow picks in tortex

I’m not sure whether this will impact on pick-life (maybe if its thicker than the usual tortex?)
I have one, I’ll give it a whirl - it might be just what I’m looking for- the James/JP type flow pick that doesnt chirp like a box of crickets!

1 Like

When will you get the picks?

This looks cool! I would love to see a picture of them.

I just got them. It’s exactly as pictured, super smooth, but the only problem is that I made the scaffolding between the 3 picks too thick, so I have to get a hacksaw to remove it before I can use it. Once I do that, I’ll make a video of it.

1 Like

I haven’t seen anyone mention them, so, my favorite pics are Dragonheart. I mainly use he Hardened Version, and I love it. Hasn’t worn at all in over a year, big pick with nice attack and it looks totally badass.
I switch between these and the John petrucci Jazz iii picks.

I’ve tried a ton of picks and my favourite so far are timber tones buffalo bone jazz.
They are jazz iii xl shape with bevels and a pointy edge and have a touch of grab on the strings.
They are bright which I really like - I hate dark sounding picks, but they are not shrill like the v-pick screamer ( which also wear insanely fast ).
They do wear but at a reasonable rate and I think it’s a necessary evil for picks that grab the strings a bit rather than purely gliding.

I very strongly dislike thick picks with completely smooth edges that glide without wearing as I need a bit of tactile feedback when picking, and to me these also sound horrible on the high strings.

Dunlop Jazz III 2.0 Black
haven’t been able to find something better. Ive tried so many others but this one I keep coming back to. Best one for me.

1 Like

2020 bump haha.

I learnt how to play with “matchpicks” .36mm picks. They were literally see through. I used them exclusively for the first 6-7 years I played. I couldn’t use anything else and I only down picked. I didn’t know alternate picking was a thing (it’s been a long bleeping journey haha) they didn’t even return to zero, they would actually warp and fade away to these weird hook rotated shapes. I think I have one still somewhere… I’ll post a picture if I can find one.

When I went to college for music I was introduced to “hard” picks. I started the transition with the James Hetfield Black Fang picks (.88mm I believe) and quickly made my way to the black jazz III’s. I stuck with those exclusively for the next x number of years until my partner bought me Swiss Picks as a gift two years ago.

OCD and fear be damned I had to try my gift for her. I had the 1.5mm picks (same as the Jazz)

It was a bit unfamiliar at first but once I got used to them I’ve been using the 1.5mm Swiss Picks the last two years. I have actually experimented with a couple different picks (gravity picks and some weird massive 6mm round thing with no point that is seemingly not functional for speed due to the inherent harmonics but is fun to experiment with)

I love the Swiss Picks, but I’m also at a point in my playing where I’m comfortable with anything not too out of the ordinary.

I used to use Fender heavy 351s in celluloid. But when they changed to the cheap stuff from china I started using J Garcia ones, but I can’t find those anymore, so I decided to try the Jazz III XL Nylon, and I like it a lot (I used to use purple jazz III tortex at one point) and I’m going to stick with this pick for now.

Mostly Jazz III types. Mostly Dunlops. I have some Eric Johnson nylon types. I have a few Tortex/Flex ranging from .88 to 1.38. A few Primetones. Mostly to replace the Stubbies I used to use but can’t find any longer. Those are 3mm. I also have a few 5mm Primetones. And then I have some 351 models as well, made by Clayton.

Sucks, doesn’t it? I used to use the 3mm Stubbies as well. Can’t find them anywhere anymore. I do still have some as I bought a bunch several years ago, but knowing I probably wouldn’t get them again I started trying others. Sounds like we’re on the same track with the Tortex …