What picks are you using?

Used to switch between different types of picks all the time, but I recently settled on the Dunlop Ultex John Petrucci Signature Jazz III, 1.5mm. Even as they wear, they keep their smoothness, which I find helps a lot with economy picking. I had previously used Planet Waves 1.4mm nylon picks (Jazz III shape), and the pick abrasion on those made it feel like the pick was getting caught on the string.
Unfortunately the surface on the JP picks isn’t very grippy, and I tend to sweat quite easily, but it’s not too bad, I’ve yet to have one of those picks fall out of my hands when playing.

I used the jazz iii’s exclusively…until I tried out some Swiss Picks a week or so ago. I think I’m hooked!

I’ve been using Red Bear picks for the last couple of years after hearing about them from Guthrie Govan and they’ve been great! I’m quite sure Guthrie still has a signature pick with them as well.
I only have two primary picks at the moment: a Classic II (351 model) and a Lil’ Jazzer (similar to a Jazz III). They’re on the expensive side but they seem to stand the test of time and they don’t seem to wear at all (at least with my playing style). The option to add holes and bevels when you order them is also nice! I think I’ve only ever owned three of their picks and only lost one amazingly enough! Maybe them being more expensive makes me subconsciously keep better track of them! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’ve been using Chicken Picks (Shredder 3) for about a year now and really love the articulate control I get out of
them.

I remember using them a good few years ago, I couldn’t make my mind up and interestingly enough, mine didn’t last as long as I expected (as they are like stone). I might have to give them a try them again

I mainly use 351 medium, but I also use a variety of different sizes and thickness. I think in the same way Troy advises to start with speed and practice in that manner, I think by using a variety of picks and gauges, the brain refines all the data to make things more refined.
Were you to use a variety you will find that you will magically get better. Also, do not underestimate the dark magic of practicing looking into the mirror.

Ernie Ball Prodigy 2.0 The big white ones. Delrin is by far the best pick material and it wears in a way that a couple of swipes through a carpet cleans up the edge. I haven’t really worn one out yet.

Im a real pick addict. It’s becoming a problem. Sometimes I switch picks mid song because I find it too hard to shred with a thin flow or Jazz iii xl & too hard to keep a steady palm muted tremolo picking rhythm with Jazz iii’s.
I use Primetone Jazz III XL 0,73 & Kirk Hammet Jazz III

I highly recommend you test Kirk Hammets Jazz III signature. Least chirpy pick I know, & the heart cut out aids positioning the pick. It’s grippier than regular Max Grip Jazz 3 for me.

I’m currently using Dunlop Trinity picks, the n-th John Petrucci signature pick (and counting!). I’ve been preferring picks with larger shoulders than more standard shaped picks, and I had liked the Ibanez small teardrop shape quite a bit, but couldn’t really buy them with a material or thickness that I like. I had tried the Ultex Primetone Small Tri picks, but the shoulders were a bit too wide for my liking. So when Dunlop repurposed the JazzTone 208 as the Flow pick, I quickly jumped on the bandwagon.

In terms of shape, the Trinity essentially is a Flow pick with the top portion chopped off in order to make it smaller. It’s essentially triangular with three identical tips. According to Frank Gambale, triangular picks are great at getting more mileage out of them with their three tips; a good thing considering Signature™®© picks tend not to be cheap… Compared to an Ultex Flow, it has a smoother surface and bevel but a sharper tip. As such, notes tend to sound more even, especially when sweeping and economy picking where string changes tend to sound differently from the rest of the picked notes.

The size is really small despite being a chopped off standard Flow pick, and I was wondering if I could actually play with the damn thing when I first used it. However I seem to manipulate the edge better for more pronounced edge picking and easier string switching. I don’t remember if it’s actually smaller than the Ultex Primetone Jazz III, which also is a really small pick. I probably have a couple of these left somewhere in some box on some shelf in some place; a place I’m too lazy to reach for.

But now I’m made aware of the Ernie Ball Prodigy shield picks, that obviously I should NOT buy. And certainly not to see if they’re just a tiny bit bigger than the Trinity and smaller than the Primetone Small Tri. :sweat_smile:

I dig shape & bevel of the John Petrucci Trinity, but can’t live with the pick noise. Only Ultex picks of 1mm thickness & below have an acceptable level of chirp IMO. I have found a great middle ground between the feel of a flow bevel with the tone & size of a Jazz III Tortex = Gator Grip Jazz III. They have bevels, unlike the completely square edges of Tortex Jazz III.
I switch between these 3, preferring the Gator grip Jazz III

I’ve been using Chicken Picks Shredder as I love the feel and control it gives me

I’m using Dunlop Ultex Jazz III at the minute. I have one that I’ve been using on and off over the years and it has a nice bevel on it.

I picked up some Jazz III XL primetone picks for Christmas, I have a new favorite pick. I can do pick slides and other stuff much easier than with the nylon ones and the grip on them is next to none. They still get a nice chirp like the nylon but slightly more subdued. Bit expensive, but killer picks.

I use the John Petrucci Jazz III signature picks. They’re dope.

Dunlop Flow 1.5 ultex.

Jazz III Tortex 1.14mm.

Chomacast 1.3mm Michael Angelo Signature Picks.
Picked up a 30 pack for less than $7, a couple years ago.
I keep going back to these regardless of pick I compare them to.
Awesome grip. Like a gatorgrip jazz iii

My go to pick is whichever is closest to me when I sit down to play, lol. I got a gigantic pack of the purple dunlop tortex picks in 1.5mm and 2mm so that’s one I use pretty often. I prefer a stiff pick but I can get used to a .5 or .6mm one in a few minutes if it’s all I have, although I do find economy picking stuff to be more difficult with a flappy plectrum.

I mainly use the big triangular shaped ones now though - I have a 1.5mm Ernie Ball Prodigy pick that’s been in the rotation quite a bit lately. I also have some Bermuda III’s by ChickenPicks which have a much sharper tip than the Ernie Ball and brings out the high end a bit more which I like sometimes. I finally bit the bullet and ordered some BlueChips with my name on them to boot :joy: so I’ll update once those arrive.

I’m not a big fan of Jazz III type picks - just too small for my liking. Maybe I’ll try em again and change my mind down the road but I always seem to come back to a nice big plectrum.

1 Like

I randomly chose the Dunlop Flow 2.0mm pick, and that’s all I use, because I wanted to reduce as much variability as possible (e.g., eat only one kind of dog food). I’m not sure if this is a good idea, but I can say, anything other than a Flow 2.0mm seems to be really weird… I guess that means my idea is working, but is it dumb or not? :thinking: