What's Your Favorite Yngwie Composition?

Yngwie is such a great composer, so far ahead of what people typically think of when they think of rock music. My favorite thing he composed is Black Star because it has a very cool intro, a nice memorable melody, and a great solo. The live at Budokan version shows his stage presence is also as good as there is.

To me all the instrumentals on that album are much better than the songs that have vocals by Jeff Scott Soto because there vocal melody is sometimes awkward sounding(such as As Above So Below) and not up to the same standard as the guitar. I wish Yngwie had used singers more similar to the style Geoff Tate sang in the 80s.

3 Likes

Obviously Black Star is a must, it melted the faces of many people who bought the album without prior psychological training :wink:

I also like a lot evil eye and far beyond the sun. Yeah my choices are very predictable sorry :smiley:

1 Like

JSS is the worst 80s Yngwie singer in my opinion. I generally skip all the vocal tracks on Rising Force and Marching Out. Mark Boals and Joe Lynn Turner blew him out of the water. That said Ripper is the only vocalist post 80s that came to the level of those three.

ā€œFar Beyond the Sunā€, ā€œTrilogyā€, and ā€œBlack Starā€ are my favorite instrumentals.
As for vocal cuts ā€œQueen in Loveā€, ā€œYou Donā€™t Remember, Iā€™ll Never Forgetā€, ā€œIsland in the Sunā€, ā€œRising Forceā€, ā€œHiroshima Mon Amourā€, ā€œDeja Vuā€ and ā€œCrystal Ballā€.

BlitzKreig.

Not sure about narrowing down to a single composition, but I find that Trilogy was the Yngwie album that Iā€™ve listend to the most.

3 Likes

Far Beyond The Sun. Itā€™s just so well done and executed. Itā€™s like a primer of what good shred sounds like:

• Right amount of notes
  • Tasteful phrasing
  • ~V~I~B~R~A~T~O~
  • Accessible yet daunting

My favourite Yngwie instrumental is probably ā€œPerpetualā€:

The solo in ā€œPerpetualā€ is beautiful. As well as the one on the next track, ā€œDragonflyā€. Also, I like his tone and playing on the entire ā€œFire and Iceā€ album, it is somewhat more ā€œrawā€ and I guess more on the ā€œrockā€ side of things if you will.

Definitely my favourite Yngwie solo from a song is this one:

I think this solo is just a perfect balance between fast and melodic playing, all in Yngwie style.

2 Likes

Same here, but thatā€™s just because I didnā€™t have a chance to listen to any other albums of him for quite a long time :smiley:

I love Icarusā€™ Dream Suite Op.4 from Rising Force, Black Star and Far Beyond the Sun in that order.

How do you not like JSS???
:astonished:

The whole ā€œRising Forceā€ record and if I had to choose another song from the rest of his discography I would choose the song ā€œFireā€ from the Trilogy album. That solo is Fire indeed! :grin:

I was always fascinated with the lick which happens at 3:56 of ā€œFireā€. It sounds so un-Yngwie.

Here is Jeff Loomis playing that solo. Incredible stuff! Guitar goals right here.

He sounds really strained in comparison to Boals and Lynn Turner

Different stylesā€¦ I always thought JSS had a powerful expressive voice. .

Wasnā€™t sure if I should create another threadā€¦ this is beautiful!
1 Like

There is so much YJM to love, but the one that I am most likely to crank up is

2 Likes

Yes, itā€™s a great piece,

1 Like

There is so much to discover with Yngwie, I feel people donā€™t give him enough credit for his compositions and arrangements. But I guess this is true for most geniuses. Sure thereā€™s a lot of derivative work but what isnā€™t. The most fascinating thing I learned a few months ago was Bach was only known in his local community while he was alive, then entirely forgotten for 250 years, till his music was rediscovered. I think Yngwie will be remembered along with all the greats forever.

So much beauty in all this music, one of my favs.

1 Like

I concur! It was the 1st YJM tune I ever heard - mind blown.