Which Motion Should I Pursue? (I've hit a speed limit)

I lock up and my arm starts wiggling again! Gave it another go and it turned into a mess, smashing into other strings and bouncing away from the string I’m trying to hit. Might have to try and refine this somehow and see if it helps break through

My random observation: looks like you’re trying to not let your forearm move. Like others have said, would be interesting to see you put away the metronome and just gun it.

2 Likes

Not if you rip the youtube to mp3, and load up the mp3 on this webapp and change tempo to 75%! :laughing:

Hmm, you mean like my forearm is wanting to do some Aldrich style rotation in combination with my wrist and I’m not letting it?

@Jacklr I dunno if it’s “Aldrich style” or whatever, it just seems like you’re concentrating on planting your wrist on the guitar and not engaging any forearm muscles. Are you trying to go for a specific motion as opposed to letting it come naturally?

You don’t like Big Foot?

1 Like

Hi @Jacklr

Below are my thoughts - influenced by my experiment of spending a year on one very difficult Yngwie lick and eventually being able to play the Steeler descending fours at Yngwie speed. Your way may be different to mine though :slight_smile:

a) It is great you are on taking on an Alcatrazz solo! They are hard to play if you want to play them with “Yngwie Sync”
b) 190bpm for extended reps with high accuracy is challenging - the good news it is a repeated 6 pattern
c) it is not challenging for Yngwie - look at how easily he manages it in the live video!
d) breaking it down to just focus on the first set of 6’s at his speed and sync is how I would start
e) I would ditch the metronome as others have suggested - treat it as a burst lick
f) to get it to sound like Yngwie means very, very accurate hand sync (slow his to 25% and you will hear it)
g) I tested my practice sessions by slowing down via the software my recorded takes to see if I was hitting “Yngwie Sync”
h) Record all your takes and review - if possible get the Yngwie solo into your DAW and test yours against his
i) Yngwie is naturally significantly faster than most players - to get into that zone I had to really PUSH
j) I was continually playing it slower than Yngwie - even when I thought it was as fast - so I started singing the lick to help me get the speed - so for your lick “meedly meedly meedly meedly” etc as fast as he plays it to help psychologically get the speed - this really helped at the end
k) elbow mechanic is where I get extra speed if my wrist finger motions aren’t cutting it - then I reintroduce them if sync is faltering
l) experiment with pick escapes
m) this could take you a while to get it to Yngwie level - it took me a year of intense practising the one lick to get the descending fours happening at 190bpm with Yngwie sync- so don’t give up - make it fun
n) you can do it!

4 Likes

I would keep at this, but for this step, I’d ditch the metronome and also not try any particular motion and not try and stop the arm moving or forearm wiggling.
Having knowledge can sometimes get in the way of this step… I’m aware how crazy that might sound haha
Just looking to get a fast and smooth tremolo for this step.

1 Like

Hard to say as I’ve been doing this so long it’s become subconscious! I’ve started working on trying to introduce some forearm wiggle into my motion which feels very unnatural to me but feels like there may be some potential there for improvement.

Even though the motion is brand new to me and super slow I’m amazed at the sound of the pick attack with the forearm, really percussive and cool sounding :grin:

like the others have suggested, I would not do any “theoretical planning”. The table tap test @210bpm suggests that you should be able to find a motion to pick these 6s @125bpm.

I think other have already suggested our good old “tremolo test”. So, what happens when you tremolo pick on one string as fast as you can? It may be that your elbow takes over — if so, just let it happen*!

*note that if you end up doing elbow it will be DSX, so you’ll want to do the jet to jet 6s pattern starting on an upstroke (or using a pulloff to avoid the upstroke string change)

With the tremolo test I think my problem is that I tense up too much and my elbow motion takes over but gets too tiring :thinking:

I’ve done some experimenting with the elbow trying to assume a Vinnie Moore like position and I think there is some potential there when I come at it with a more relaxed approach. I have a problem with my pick slipping around a little and bashing into other strings but I feel like that it’s a process of learning the motion?

@Pepepicks66’s observation about my forearm really peaked my interest in incorporating more of the motion. I’ve been working on it the past couple of days now and the potential seems really exciting!

I seem to be able to get a purely rotational forearm mechanic going for little snippets with incredible percussive pick attack and higher effortless speed, it’s crazy, I’ve never felt anything that fluid before :open_mouth:

The problem is that very quickly I notice the radius wiggle stop and the motion becomes more of a Gyspy forearm-wrist blend which is a little faster than my wrist motion but ultimately not what I’m after. I’m amazed that Troy in his Rotation video can switch between them on the fly! I’m going to keep trying to work on the rotational mechanic and see if I can continue to replicate it :smile:

1 Like

No worries, I understand the feeling! It may be worth checking if things get more comfortable if you stay a bit below your max speed. And as you hinted at, try variations in your form to see if you can find a less tiring setup.

Also, read this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another idea to assist with the speed busting on this lick is to simplify the 6’s into triplets.

An easier lick so you can focus purely on speed busting. By the way, this intro sounds awesome played in this simplified way in my opinion as well!

This is what I mean - don’t worry about Yngwie sync yet - just floor it.

2 Likes

hey now lets not forget about 1,2,3 what did he do to get left out?

2 Likes

Haha I love that lick, it’s the Al Di Meola version :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’ll give it a go, perhaps this will work as a form of interleaved practice!

1 Like

Another thing you could try is to play the pattern but double pick each note. That way you could be flooring your picking but your fretting hand would be half speed. Might help expose a weak link in the chain.

3 Likes

Well I say that, but now that I think about it, Al is the earliest person I heard do what I more commonly refer to as Yngwie sixes :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

You must have the Joe Stump book, he talks about this in chaper 2 tremolo picking. :laughing:

1 Like

Interesting, I do not have that book. I know I didn’t dream that up myself though. I should point out with licks like this that also change strings, the double picking thing only works on USX. If DSX, you’d have to start on an upstroke and play the string changes cleanly. Which is definitely a thing DSX players would do in general on this tune

he is playing so fast and that camera is so terrible on fps that even at .25 speed i cannot tell if he is doing upstroke like you say. i mean ya it looks that way but jeez i figured he would have some of the best video equipment money could buy… :laughing: