Here are a few elbow picking mechanic tips for staying relaxed

Hello, Everyone!

I thought I would share some tips and things I have discovered with my own picking technique after I started analyzing it more in depth recently. As I mentioned in a previous post I made…I think my way of playing faster lines is very similar to Vinnie Moore’s picking technique around the Minds Eyes era. I bought the first Alcatrazz album when it came out and while trying to learn as many of Yngwie’s lines as I could, I found that I could play lines, like the intro to the Jet to Jet solo, using more of an elbow motion mechanic…at the time I didn’t know how Yngwie was doing it and found that this way worked for me.

I just kept working on my picking and ended up doing a lot of lines similar to what Al was doing. I had a great teacher and he showed me some great Di Meola type runs. Around 87 I heard Vinnie Moore’'s album when it came out and loved it! I saw him give a clinic that fall and noticed when he played faster picked lines it looked very similar to the way my right hand and arm looked when I played faster things. he even mentioned that he would glide his little finger on the pickguard when he was playing. I did that also…if kept my pick the same height on the string and I could just use the very tip for a more even tone. After seeing his clinic I left feeling really good about the way my technique was developing…“if it that is how he does it must be ok”, I thought to myself, lol.

I thought I would post a few things that I do or think about when I play a more elbow type of motion mechanic… Here are a few tips that help me.

1. I try not to squeeze or flex my arm really hard when I am picking fast. I just let the motion happen and don’t fight it. If I squeeze or flex while I am playing, my arm gets really tired and I get worn out, lol. When I am playing more faster type runs it sort of feels like my arm is just floating along and I am just feeling the rhythm of the line. Without that squeezing or flexing motion I can play for long periods of time and my arm never tires

2. .Don’t be afraid to use big movements ( I have heard Troy talk about this). They will get smaller as you increase speed, but trying to make them really small on purpose tends to increase the tension in the arm. Just let the elbow move naturally.

3. I rest the upper inside of my arm on the body and pivot off of that area. I glide my little finger on the body…gliding more on the nail and my other fingers just sort of fan out. The little finger is what I am using to stabilize everything. The bottom part of the palm below the thumb lightly touches the lower stings I am not playing.

4. Don’t forget the left hand The left hand is really one of the most important factors. I do a lot of muting with the left hand. If I do any swiping (which I am sure I do a little bit) I never really feel it. if you feel tension in your right arm when you are playing…a lot of the times it is because your left hand is not keeping up and you might be thinking it is your picking hand, which can cause you to start squeezing or flexing your right arm which makes everything worse.

5. I always feel the pulse when I am plying. I like to feel fast lines as phrases and that really helps me think of things in chunks and it keeps both hands really tight and working together. When I play a fast line I almost imagine I have a piece of string between both hands and when I am playing it is nice and tight between the two hands. I can feel it instantly if one hand starts to get a little off from the other and I just imagine I am tightening up that string again to get back on track, lol. it might sound kind of funny to describe it that way, but no matter how fast I am playing I can tell if everything is in sync by the way it feels between both hands. When it is totally in sync the tone is really smooth and even and I can hear it. Almost like a little space between each note, even at fast speeds. That is what I always try and go for…a nice even tone with accents where I want them.

6; Record your practice and listen back to it later. Really listening to your playing and being honest with yourself is the best way to improve and get to where you want to go…which for us all is great tone, note choice and phrasing!

I hope you do not mind me sharing some of my thoughts, I am really loving the site very much!. If these little tips help any of you that are interested in experimenting with more of an elbow mechanic that would be great! Here is a little video I made for the forum today showing my picking mechanics. Just me improvising over some simple chord progressions. Thanks!

13 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to post this information Bill. I don’t use a pure elbow type mechanic as such but I have noticed sometimes when I tremolo pick I do get a bit of elbow motion in the mix so I’m going to put into practise what you’ve suggested here.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, Shinjuko! I hope some of the tips help. :slight_smile:

Quite on the contrary, this is awesome! Thanks for thinking about all this.

2 Likes

You’re a phenomenal player. I’ve always thought acoustic alternate picking to be the pinnacle of alternate picking technique.

2 Likes

All your tips are great. And I’ve got to say, your form has a lot of similarities to mine.

The gliding of the pinky/ring finger, and the ‘open scissors’ gap between the middle finger and index finger in order to allow movement throughout all 6 strings is pretty much identical to my form.

This sorta technique really ‘mixes in’ well with most wrist/finger techniques as well. It’s a great way to speed up in a very relaxed way.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, Troy! I read everything on here all the time and thought I would add a little bit of what I do into the mix. I love the site…you do a great job with all that you do! Everybody involved in running the site does a great job! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much, guitarenthusiast! I appreciate that!

1 Like

Thanks, Hamsterman! I never thought about the open scissors gap between my fingers…but it is true!, LOL! I guess I do it for that very reason. It is funny how you can play and not really be aware of all the little things like that! :slight_smile:

Hi, Everyone! I made a little video to show my picking mechanics and explain in it a little bit how I pick with my mechanics as a follow up to my earlier post. I hope some of you enjoy it. Thanks!

6 Likes

Nice video Bill. Your picking hand reminds me a lot of Vinnie Moore. Just out of curiosity, do you find you have to tense up to get your elbow moving like that? I can’t get my wrist to lock without tensing up my arm but you make it look very smooth.

1 Like

Nice demonstration. And it also demonstrates that the elbow can be VERY reliable.

How fast can you alternate between two strings while skipping 1 or more strings? Do you have a preference between outside/inside picking?

Thanks! I do not really tense up at all. I do not squeeze my arm or anything like that to create tension… just let the movement happen. I have always been able to play for long periods and never really get tired or anything. For me it just feels natural.

2 Likes

Thanks! I do a lot of outside lines I guess, I do pick inside lines also…especially at medium speeds. I can keep sextuplets going on the first string say and hit the second or third string for a note pretty easily. I have never really tried to see how fast on the metronome. I think in this video I am playing sextuplets at 132 on the metronome.

It looks quite effortless. While I don’t use as much elbow as you do… I do use some… and I am a big convert to the ‘sliding’ pick-stroke. It allows for high precision and consistency at the higher speeds. I’ve also found it has helped speed up my string-skipping.

1 Like

Hi. I am not sure what a sliding pick-stroke is? Is that a sweep? Thanks!

I just meant using the gliding on the fingers/nails to stabilize the stroke.

1 Like

Now I see…that helps me lot also!

Hi, Everyone! I recently switched picks after using a blue 1.14 gator grip pick for the longest time to a regular Fender heavy and I am really surprised at the difference in tone. I loved the Gator grip but the Fender heavy just glides so smooth like glass, lol. At the risk of spamming my own post here, lol (sorry if I am) here is a clip of me playing some fast picked solos using the Fender heavy. The first two solos in the clip I just did this morning. I am going full elbow in them, lol. It is kind of funny…I always thought that the way Paul Gilbert and Al Di Meola looked when they picked was so cool…I could just never do it that way, lol. The elbow thing just came naturally and I went with it. Now it is just second nature to me. I am not sure, but it seems like string tracking comes really naturally with the elbow mechanic because the arm just drops down and back up. I don’t have too change the picking angle or edge picking to compensate. Or I could be off base…it was just a thought that occurred to me when I was playing the strip skipping pedal tones like Vinnie did in the 80s. Here is the video I thought I would share with you all. Thanks everyone for all the input here…I really enjoy reading everything on here! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Bill you fucking rip man, jesus. Had to hit the like not just for the playing but the Soundgarden shirt, too!

edit: Just curious, what does your playing look like on an electric? I’ve noticed my elbow engages more with acoustic nylon and steel string guitars, not massively or anything, but I feel like it requires just a bit more force. I’ve noticed the same deal with Claus Levin and Al Di Meola.

1 Like