Which state, country you good folks at?

Was just wondering how diverse the geo locations of our members are. Stems from wondering how many from India on on this forum. Would love to meet up if it’s possible!

Rural Karjat, Maharashtra, India.

1 Like

I’m in Ireland, county Dublin :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Quite international, as I’m Eastern Europe, Bulgaria to be precise :smiley:

1 Like

I’m Irish, living in Ireland.

1 Like

Born, raised and live in Ohio, United States.

2 Likes

About 50 miles away from CTC HQ.

1 Like

Sunny Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 in the U.K.

2 Likes

3 Likes

United States, Massachusetts, a few miles outside of Boston.

3 Likes

Near Toronto, Canada.

1 Like

USA, Southern Idaho.

1 Like

Just outside of Boston, Massachusetts here.

4 Likes

Boston, MA for me too.

3 Likes

I am so jelly of the Boston folks, I miss Regina pizzeria.

SLC, Utah here!

2 Likes

I’m not sure there’s many around anyway anymore. The one that was in Allston that moved into what was the old sports depot bar (with the old caboose people could sit in) has been shuttered for years.

Anyway. MA has never been known for its pizza, but there are better places around here.

For the small world file:

With this talk of “Regina Pizzeria”, there’s a style of pizza, originated by immigrant Greek restaurateurs, that is very popular in parts of western Canada. I don’t know if the claims of its provenance in the article linked below are true, but it’s particularly widespread in the province of Saskatchewan, and especially linked to that province’s capital city: Regina. One Saskatchewan-based chain, when it first opened new locations in the province of Alberta, billed itself as “Saskatchewan-style pizza”. But denizens of Regina, who claim it originated there in 1970, refer to it as “Regina-style Pizza”:

There’s a wikipedia article that talks about a similar-sounding style originating from a Greek restaurateur in Connecticut in 1955:

The Regina pizzeria in MA, was more of a fast casual Italian restaurant that sold sort of a faux Neapolitan style pizza IIRC, and some other Italian American fare. It was kind of closer to a bertucci’s than a pizza place. It had a bar that was open until 2AM, and could seat a bunch of people with little notice, which was why most people went there.

This better describes what people mean by Greek pizza here than the first article does. It’s more about describing the dough/crust than it is about anything else. It’s still a round triangular sliced rather thin to medium crusted pizza with no layering or anything like that, but it has a little thicker/rounded outer crust due to the pans they use.

It’s a type of pizza that is typically sold at smaller pizza/sandwich/variety American grill fare type places that are typically (or stereotypically rather) Greek or Turkish owned and operated.

I don’t have a better word to describe places like that because it was only something I encountered when I moved to the east coast. I’m originally from the west coast, where a pizza parlor sold mostly just pizza and beer. If you are going in there, you are mostly just going in for one thing. We have these here too. They are typically seen as a little bougie, but arguably sling the better pizza.

Ok. The type from the first article, the crust is definitely a factor, but it’s largely about having a thick layer of mozzarella over the toppings, browned on top under high heat, and usually with a relatively sweet sauce underneath. I haven’t been out in those parts for a while, but my memory is of those kinds of pizzas being served ridiculously hot, and retaining that heat for a long time due to the relatively oily crust.

For a parting shot, here’s a Twitter post from the author of the first article, showing a 10" version of one of these pizzas cut into traditional wedges. The picture does a pretty good job of summing up these pizzas.

I’m just outside of Nashville, Tennessee.

1 Like

From Spain (Madrid) but I currently live in Switzerland (Lausanne).

1 Like