Who would you like to see interviewed next by Troy and the team?

John Goodsall:

also:

and in 2018:

I think it would be significant if Pat Martino’s picking could be analyzed. I may be mistaken, but I suspect that, unlike most jazz guitarists, he tailors and pre-plans his left-hand licks (notes per string, position shifts) so that they can be played efficiently (in other words, not playing riffs by replicating melody lines derived from sax players, etc., but playing lines which are ‘guitaristic’ in their conception).
What riffs of his I’ve tried to learn seem to fit very nicely under the fingers. Plus, it seems that he can solo fluidly and continuously over ANY chord. On “Joyous Lake” he demonstrates this, soloing fluidly over a succession of altered dominant chords. This album in particular is called “fusion” jazz, meaning a blend of rock/jazz, but he always plays cleanly, with no distortion.
What is it about his playing that gives it an “un-jazz” or ‘fusion’ label? It must be the fluidity, the steady unending stream of eighth notes - not distortion.
For these reasons, I do not consider Pat Martino to be a “typical” jazz guitarist, but one who understands the mechanics of the guitar itself. He has a supremely logical mind. He is also the first person I’ve heard who understands the “mechanical nature” of the guitar, and clarifies this by comparing it to the different mechanics of the keyboard. As he sees it, the diminished sevenths (repeating every four frets) and augmented chords (repeating every five) are the natural repeating “mechanical” devices of the guitar, and ties these into “areas” of the fretboard with access to all 12 dominant 7 chords in each area.
I think what Troy Grady is doing is very important in the progress of the steel-string plectrum guitar. On a side note (the other hand), I’ve always felt that guitar transcriptions were lacking in the fingering of the left hand. Some classical guitar will give fingering. Even in Frank Gambale’s pentatonic sequence, from his Speed-Picking DVD, he leaves it optional. I looked at it carefully and noted his exact left-hand fingering, because I think it is essential. I also noticed that Troy noted a fingering difference that worked for him, which differed from the Yngwie version, and this is commendable that he mentioned it.

3 Likes

Michael Dolce, Josh Smith and Quincy Jones :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Whoa. The second clip! Josh Smith? Skilled and teaches well! Thanks for sharing!

T.J.Helmerich and Brett Garsed!!!

2 Likes

Richard Thompson would be a great interview.

2 Likes

Bryan Sutton
Jake Workman
Al Di Meola

Cool place. Bought my Carr there

2 Likes

You know, I live up the street from Paul Gilbert and see him at the grocery store now and again. If I have the courage, I will definitely ask him hahah

2 Likes

Like to see Chris Poland interview. Really nice guy.

4 Likes

Was he the original Megadeth lead guitarist who Dave Mustaine fired? I think he was but I don’t know why he Mustaine fired him. Does anybody here know why Poland got fired from Megadeth? I love that first Megadeth album Chris Poland plays on entitled “Killing Is My Business And Business Is Good.” It’s highly technical thrash metal and far more complex than Metallica’s debut album "Kill “Em All” which is an early thrash metal album I also love. I had to buy those albums in an import record store when they came out because none of the regular record stores in my area were carrying either of those albums. My copy of "Kill “Em All” was printed by Megaforce records.

I’ve heard people say it’ a shame Dave Mustaine was forced by Metallica because they claim Metallica would have made much better albums with Mustaine than they did with Hammett. Maybe so, but we got two great bands out of that deal instead of one great band, so we actually got twice as much great thrash metal as a result.

1 Like

I agree with those saying: Guthrie Govan, Takayoshi Ohmura, Michael Schenker, Uli Jon Roth and Pat Martino.

Especially Takayoshi Ohmura and Pat Martino.

Especially especially Takayoshi Ohmura because his technique involves so much thumb joint, which is unique and an additional basic movement to be at least considered even if to be ruled out.

Martino is just so unique and though he might not remember any of it, his early work had a lot of the picking every note thing that was rare for that time. His solo on Sunny, included on the compilation Cream, is like a prime example of it.

I also think more hybrid pickers would be good to add to the collection of data.

This thread is has so many great suggestions and great videos, it will keep my busy for a while.

3 Likes

Do an interview with Ihsahn from emperor, he has crazy good strumming skills and are able to handle huge amount of distortion as well. A bit off an odd choice but i think that very few have have the skill to play like him.

2 Likes

I have seen Rick play. He blew my mind. It was a number of years ago in Tampa, I believe. Probably the Nightmare Metalfest. What an incredible player!

1 Like

@acecrusher, re: Chris Poland:
Yes, Chris Poland was in Megadeth, but he is way more advanced than that. He was influenced by Jan Hammer’s mini-moog playing in the Mahavishnu Orchestra, and his riffs remind me of Jan Hammer’s early work (pre-Miami Vice; yuck!) His index finger was severed, and he can’t bend it, so he had it permanently set. This did not affect his facility at all; in fact, he invented a new way of barre-ing with his index while hammering-on with the other three fingers. I’ve never seen anything similar.
Plus, in all the interviews, he is a really nice person. I think he is a one of a kind original.

2 Likes

My #1 pick for who I’d love Troy and the team to interview?

Kevin Eubanks. That dude can play and he does it with his fingers! I’ve seen him play lines at speeds most shredders wouldn’t be able to handle and he does it with his thumb and middle or index finger!

I’d love to see the Magnet attachment used for non-pick players in general, too. We know for a fact that a lot of what people think they’re doing on guitar is pretty different from what they’re actually doing.

3 Likes

What band does Kevin Eubanks play in? His name sounds familiar.

He played with The Tonight Show band, and lots of others as a side man - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Eubanks

2 Likes

OK, I remember him now. Thank you. He’s very good. Are you sure he didn’t use a pick?

He definitely doesn’t.

This video shows a lot of good shots of his right hand as he plays. Not a pick in sight.

4 Likes