Who would you like to see interviewed next by Troy and the team?

No news yet on McLaughlin, I don’t think we heard back last time we reached out but we may try again. If we ever do an interview with him we’ll of course make sure everyone knows!

Regarding Rusty Cooley—

Not able to do that, sorry. As I mentioned some of our older interviews are incomplete or have A/V quality issues and it’s not always a simple edit, we may need to film more etc.

Still not sure what we’ll do with this one specifically but as a general rule we’ve found it’s best not to announce release details until we’re confident a thing is ready to go. When we do get new stuff out we share both here and by email so you won’t miss it.

1 Like

With regard to the subject I’ve put up today, Andy James!!! Would love for you guys to get that magnet zoomed on his right hand for licks like the one in the mentioned post, really want to know what tricks are up this fellas sleeves ( I have never seen him wear anything longer than a tshirt mind you). I believe that he has some sort of pedulus motion mechanic when playing at high speed therefore has escape strokes on every pick, but it appears to be a very slight I repeat very slight upward (away from guitar body) angle be it an up or down stroke, I’m relatively new to the seminars and haven’t had time to truly examine the primers or much of the seminars @Troy you have already told me off for this :no_mouth: I will do my homework more thoroughly buddy.

Not sure if Wayne krantz has been mentioned but it would be really cool to see how he married his very different and cool harmonic content to his right hand.

1 Like

Wayne’s great - reached out to him years ago, no response. If you look at how his style has changed from the virtuoso flatpicking stuff to what he does now, I can imagine he might not be all that interested in the kinds of interviews we do. But the “old” Wayne would have been super helpful to sit down with as far as our understanding of wrist motion. In general it would be great if there was a way to communicate even to “anti-analysis” virtuosos that their abilities can help other people solve problems that are unlikely to get solved by just doing what comes naturally.

1 Like

Michael Romeo (20 characters)

1 Like

If I only could pick one it would be Guthrie Govan with out a doubt.

But other than that I’d like to see:

Rick Graham, He already got a YT channel with some great lessons, but would be fun to see Troy and Rick in an interview/podcast talking about guitar techniques, it would probably cover a lot on the left hand area, that guy is just sick at legato and that sort of stuff.

Ichika (Check he’s YT/instagram if you haven’t already)
Tosin Abasi
Stephen Taranto
Jason Richardsson
The guys in Polyphia would probably be both fun and painful to watch.

2 Likes

Guthrie Govan
John Petrucci
Ron Jarzombek

1 Like

Yes! Ron is an incredible player, composer and musician.

I love guys like Joe Satriani but what’s the point of Troy interviewing him? He’s a legato player that rarely picks notes. I think these guys would be the ultimate.
EJ
Yngwie
Zakk
Gilbert
McLaughlin
DiMeola

2 Likes

Marco Sfogli - the nearest thing to Petrucci! :wink:, amazing player - makes it look so easy and I like his stuff!

I took a few lessons from him back in the day Regarding Jeff Kollman. He’s a nice guy and I definitely think he’d be up for a interview with Troy. :ok_hand:

1 Like

It’s funny, but I remember specifically asking him about the alternate picking thing and how he does it and he didn’t really have any explanation at all. I think like a lot of great intuitive guitar players he’s totally oblivious as to what he’s doing. :man_shrugging:

That Satriani is a guitarist who does things other than fast picking and that he’s had the career he’s had would be the point.

Those two things make him fairly unique in the list of people who have already been interviewed. I don’t think there is a guitarist who picks fast who is going to do things significantly different from the guys who have already been interviewed.

At this point it would make more sense to have somebody interviewed who does have a significantly different set of skills from the ones who have already been interviewed.

I just want to see the best of the best - the guitarists who have had great careers and done things their own way. Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac would be a great example a guitarist/songwriter/producer who has a set of skills uniquely distinct from those who have been interviewed already.

1 Like

James Hetfield, master of riffs

1 Like

James Hetfield
Nuno Bettencourt
Troy Grady :wink:

1 Like

What about Chelsea Constable? It seems she can play anything!

PS: and her youtube lessons suggest she is interested in sharing her knowledge.

Vince Gill )
I love this guy

1 Like

This is a long list. There are more guitarists listed here than the team could interview in 20 years!

I have a suggestion: When you list a guitarist, describe what that player would bring to the table that would provide information which is additional, rather than cumulative in nature. That means: Describe what type of information you think that guitarist has to offer in an interview that hasn’t already been explained or demonstrated by previous interviewees.

3 Likes

I am primarily a directional/economy picker and am very interested in (more) interviews with guitarists who specialize in that. Rick Graham comes to mind here or Luca Turilli (both have their own teaching-products, so i am not sure if they are willing to be interviewed).

As i like the CtC material a lot, i would also throw money at them doing something different than mechanical analyses. Maybe a musical exploration of the styles of different guitarists. Like what makes Yngwie sound like Yngwie in terms of tone and musical choices (though i am aware that is interwined with the technical aspect).

1 Like

I will offer again:

Johnny Hiland
Greg Koch

On the side of all the greats everyone knows, and having listened to a million+ notes from all guitar players in the Internet, these two just grab my soul with a technique that has no observable limits.

Greg has said he went to the best music school to learn and they told him they can teach him nothing. The same happened to Paganini.

Johnny can play Steve Vai on a Tele and Vai actually produced his first record. He is that good.

Bruce Lees of guitar, both.

1 Like