Why does my thumb appear to be doing "the worm"?!

I’ll preface with ive never gone to the extremes I’ve seen members here go to, I will when I get my magnet! For me if I can focus on the one and land every measure I give myself the benefit of the doubt. I’ve never done the slo mo recording software quantized review. One, I don’t have any real recording software and two, this isn’t a sport haha. But for me I honestly watched the CtC free video series on YouTube. The yngwie portion was totally eye opening as far as pick slant. That was an overnight “aha” moment. Then I joined masters in mechanics. Read all of that material, experimented with the things I was learning and scoured this forum for anything that could help with my issues that arose.

I’d say the six ultimate things I learnt that got me from 170bpm 16th feeling like light speed to 300bpm 16th in a little under a year (after over a decade of prior playing and six years of daily playing) were as follows.

1. Actually have a practice routine, break stuff down into etudes. (Something I had never done)

2. Actually focus on the right hand (something I had NEVER done)

3. Practice with a metronome (something I had never done)

4. Learn and Accept the fact that I’m an UWPS elbow motion USX no matter how much I want that gorgeous wrist motion to be my primary mechanic :joy:

5. Stick out my pinky finger and get fancy with it (I don’t remember which member mentioned this but it literally melted my tension away immediately for my mechanic)

6. When I get to the upper most level of my picking ability flex into the tension and accept it so I can relax everything else and kind of “vibrate” (bis tris elbow area)

There are so many more though. Im honestly just obsessed. My main priority in life every day after making sure my family is healthy and loved is to improve technically as a guitar player. It’s my passion and I’m obsessed. There’s no secret, I play the same patterns literally every day, when issues arise I go at it like an equation needing solving and when I reach a new level new problems arise and the process repeats itself. Two steps forward one step back. Ad infinitum. When I get bored or things get stagnant I write some new patterns or learn a new song. Today I spent two hours working on gallops. I got up to 240bpm 16th note gallops creating unique rhythmic patterns to the metronome. (I find it very hard to keep tension down with gallops these days… new problem to solve!) It was a BLAST. My wife doesn’t get it, my parents don’t get it, my coworkers don’t get it. But it’s what I love to do.

3 Likes

Eek! Would love to see some footage of your crazy speed!

2 Likes

Damn, that’s really impressive. Thanks for the detailed journey!
Something that really caught my attention there was you are doing an elbow USX motion? Is that elbow alone? I thought elbow alone was a DSX motion, but you’ve managed to generate a USX motion with it? That’s awesome! I’m sure I’m not the only one who would love to see this!

I have noticed that a lot of the extremely fast guys seem to use some elbow too. Maybe that’s one of the joints needed to push beyond 250bpm.

Anyway, great work! Would love to see you play someday. I do have a lot to learn!

Not to add to the derailment, but if @MikeHendrycks can do 300 BPM 16ths, it would be faster than any measured picking (that isn’t fake).

That can’t be true? Bursts of 300bpm 16th notes is only 150bpm 32nd notes. I’ve seen plenty of Jason Richardson tunes with that speed. I’m talking straight one note tremolo picking here. That hyper picking guy was at like 320bpm or something was he not?

If that’s true then I must not be as fast as i think. There are plenty of players faster then me.

I just ordered a Scarlett 2i2 last night. It should be here by Monday. I haven’t had recording capabilities for many moons but I’ll have to record my
Tremolo picking and see where the notes fall!

I know when I do bursts with a metronome it sounds to me like I’m playing 16ths at 300bpm shrugs

Like I said, I’m not banking my health or my family on this fact. I do however believe it to be true. We shall see :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  1. It’s way faster than I even remembered, I thought it was “only” 300.
1 Like

@MikeHendrycks @Shredd I was wrong, 300+ is doable

1 Like

Doable yes… advisable?..I’ll leave it up to you to decide! :grin:

2 Likes