Wow! I do crazy stuff on the guitar when I’m not looking!

It floors me to see the kind of messed up stuff I gravitate towards naturally when I’m really putting a microscope up to my picking while playing fast. I’ve really been drilling in my head to just get down 4,6’ and 8’s on one string so when I eventually start switching strings it will always be on a upstroke. What does my mind and body always want to do though?? Play in 7’s! Or play in things that end on a downstroke. For some wacked out reason 7’s sound natural to me. So as soon as I start playing things in fast mode that’s what I do. It could be cool but the problem is when I try to switch strings, you guessed it I’m trying to switch strings on a down stroke so I get all turned around. Another thing I do is double pick a downstroke in fast mode. So if I’m playing 6 notes, the last two are down, down. Very strange? :thinking: It’s like nervous ticks I’ve picked up thru the years that have royally been screwing me up and I never knew why. Maybe I was born to be a upward pickslanter. Haha. Anybody else have similar type issues? I hope not. :unamused:

1 Like

If you’re hearing in 7’s then work out a way to play what you hear. Don’t train that out of yourself. Have you ever looked at Van Halen transcriptions? He has odd groupings all over the place and it sounds natural and wonderful. Go with your musical intuition!

1 Like

Yeah I hear ya! Eddie and EJ are my favorite guitarist of all time and they both play in odd numbers like 5’s and 7’s. So does Shawn Lane. I just need to work out the basic fundamentals of doing things normally though for now because I’ve been training myself to be a downward pickslanter ending on upstrokes for over a year now. I don’t need to confuse my brain and fingers anymore than they already are. Haha :joy:

Natural born prog musician! :grin:

1 Like

Or I’m just majorly dyslexic! :joy: