Favorite solos, on any instrument

can you link some on youtube? I’ve not listened to him much

1 Like

Sure thing. I almost posted this in this thread originally - pretty beastly solo from Shawn Lane…

And here’s Allan with Jens.

Jens’ brother Anders plays drums on all this stuff, too… he’s also a beast.

1 Like

I’d be remiss not to mention Art Tatum in here - I’d first heard him in a college class long ago, and was just blown away. Shame there isn’t a ton of live footage of him, but I’ll post this:

1 Like

Man this makes me want to go get 2 jobs LMAO! My dream is to own an ob-6, even if i cant play it worth a poo! LISTEN TO THIS BEAST!

1 Like

I’d have to say Hollow Years live at Budokan by John Petrucci/Dream Theater

I could listen to that solo a trilion times without getting tired

1 Like

Just to go non-guitar this is probably my favorite fender rhoedes solo. Herbie is absolutely killing it and so is the band. Whole album recommended.

2 Likes

Just wait til Behringer releases their clone in a few years, hahaha
If you know synthesis basics and sound design you can get close to a lot of these sounds on a ASM HydraSynth.

1 Like

I really like the very brief guitar solo at about 2:47 in the middle of a drum break in Twilight Guardian’s Through The Stars. It’s a case of “blink and you’ll miss it”, but it works so well in the song.

I like the way his performance, and likely looking directly at people talking loudly (take note), was able to quiet down the audience and capture their attention while they’re eating. And awesome dual players on one guitar at 16:30. I’ve seen 4 guys playing one guitar simultaneously, but don’t remember the link (to be fair, one guy was just playing percussion on the guitar body).

Cool gypsy jazz.

1 Like

heres some cool funk lines i gotta learn some of these they sound so gnarly

Speaking of keys the orchestra of solos David Paich and Steve Porcaro cooked up with a slew of legendary synthesizers in Toto’s “Rosanna.” The pitch glissandi of full chords on the Yamaha CS80 stand out in particular.

2 Likes

Less than 2 hours ago I was telling one of my students to learn Jeff’s shuffle to this song, funny to see it posted. haha

1 Like

Yeah… “Africa” is cool and all but Rosanna is soooooo good for so many reasons!!

1 Like

Love this too, bass solo, The dynasty warriors games solidified my love for rock n metal as a kid.

I think a lot of non classical solo bits need the context of the song to shine tho, where as like guitar is almost expected to be a song in and of itself.

Like vocals are an instrument, I love this section of in my darkest hour.

Dave almost talking to God.
I walk, I walk alone. To the promised land.
There’s a better place for me. But it’s far, far away.
Everlasting life for me, In a perfect world, But I got to die first ,Please, God, send me on my way!
Then a solo after lol.

Such hardcore lyrics. A solo in my eyes.

2 Likes

I put In My Darkest Hour at the same level as Fade To Black. But I’ve always preferred Megadeth to Metallica anyway.

2 Likes

Might be a little out of the norm for most here, but this is Tim Fain playing Philip Glass’s Knee Play 2, from Einstein on the Beach. I was lucky enough to see this live in NYC 16 years ago - I was already quite familiar with the music, but Tim’s rendition is just LOADS faster than anyone else I’ve heard.

1 Like

Ha! I am not super familiar with Glass (other than required stuff in college history class). That’s an amazing performance though. Just incredible!

Maybe if he gets a little better he’ll learn how to do it without his elbow (just kidding). I wonder why elbow is so frowned upon in the guitar community, yet every violinist evwr has done it without ridicule?

Edit:

And if that counts as a solo (it does, only one person playing is a solo) I’d like to submit this one

Hearing that made me go all in for classical when I was 17 and stupid.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with proper violin technique pretty much AT ALL, but the fastest stuff mostly seems like dart thrower wrist to me. Of course, there’s a lot of elbow used to get around, for sure.

1 Like

Yep. I definitely see the dart thrower in there too.

1 Like

That, the final solo in “Holy Wars”, the outro solo on “Wake Up Dead” and the final solo in “My Last Words” are Dave’s best imo. Absolute top form how he just attacks the instrument on those. You can really hear his influence from Michael Schenker on those as well.

1 Like