Unbelievable Anton Oparin!

I’ve dealt with instructors who make similar absolute claims. I learnt the hard way that although that might work for some, it doesn’t work for everyone. I steer well clear of anyone who makes such claims.

1 Like

Of course with plucking those big string skips are much easier to do. But, this platform is all about picking technique.
Pick/pluck combination will give you a different sound and volume everytime you pluck a string. If that’s what you want it’s of course a good way to go. But to achieve complete evenness in sound and volume, picking every note is the best way to go.

So, my statement stays: I have not seen any other player do those big one note per string string skipping lines at those speeds with alternate picking as Anton does.

I am still not sure about that…

Although everyone has somewhat different physics I think learning the best basic technique (like Anton’s) is for everyone. After having that down you can taylor things to your own by making some adjustments.
But i also believe you have to learn it at a young age to become as good as Anton.

At the end of the day though if you chop out the exact audio blip of both Anton and Cesario/Max in a daw. I can almost 90% be sure you wont be able to tell the difference of either. Sure if you slow it down maybe perhaps.

I disagree, based on the many interviews here and the many players here and , well everywhere, who reach virtuoso levels with different ways of picking.

To me, the idea of one way suiting everyone, sounds like garbage. Usually coming from the type of “instructor” who is so arrogant, they make outrageous claims about one secret method of right hand technique they have come up with that will work for everyone.

Hmm… so why is it that people can play equally well with very different picking techniques?

I agree that with different techniques you can achieve certain levels of playing.
But, Anton is able to play anything with the pick. Superfast single note scaler lines, fast one note per string stuff, big string skipping lines, etc, etc….all with picking every note; and of course he also can pluck.p and sweep like the best.
There seems to be no limitations whatsoever with his way of picking, but then again, his lefthand also is crazy good!
So probably if you would be able to achieve his level of picking, you still wouldn’t be able to play some of his stuff because of his unbelievable lefthand technique…

I don’t know…. If i was younger i probably would pay for his course to try it out.

I agree why would you need to hide it behind some paywall. If it was so awesome wouldnt it make sense to just share it with the world, this would increase your channels views by a large margin. Why hide it? Even Troy gives away a large portion of the, how, free of charge. The guy is a snake oil salesman, and if not well his approach makes it appear that way to people who know the scheme.

Yes, it’s the same tactic used by a few others, one has already been named in this thread and he is a total con artist who constantly upsells etc etc.

Can he play the gypsy jazz phrasing, with proper technique? :smiley:

For sure he could if he wanted.

Awesome playing!

However, in the spirit of laziness: This is mostly (all?) allternating between a high and a low string with outside picking? why not just hybrid pick so it becomes easy?

1 Like

It is his way of earning some money and there’s nothing wrong with that in my opinion.
Why should he share everything for free? Just because some others do?

There are lots of vids out there where you can watch his awesome playing and even some vids where he teaches.
He has a very indepth knowledege of muscle movements etc…and knows exactly why he does the things a certain way.
What is wrong with charging money if you are interested in this and want t learn from him?

1 Like

Hybrid picking, as I explained already, will give you a different sound between the picked and plucked notes. If you are able to pick every note, like Anton is able to, you have more evenness in sound.
Also you can really attack the strings to get more volume and you will have a greater dynamic range.

He is entitled to do whatever he wants, but if you want to advertise, I can also advertise other people who offer higher quality services for nothing.

I havent seen his gypsy style picking, so talk is cheap.

How do you know what his quality service is compared to others?

And if you are able to play Paganini Caprices with picking at those speeds Gypsy is pretty easy.
And you also do not need the way most Gypsy players hold there pick to be able to play that music.

I would rather watch a violinist play it.

I feel like this discussion is becoming apples and oranges. Or like if I told someone about a restaurant that had the most amazing pizza and they said “Why would you go there for pizza? I know this place that sells amazing hamburgers. It’s way better!”

Lol!

Learning to play from Cesario probably won’t allow you to play the stuff Anton plays. At least not using all picking. But if you don’t want to learn crosspicking that doesn’t matter. Similarly, learning from Anton probably won’t allow you to immediately play with gypsy picking. But if you don’t want to learn gypsy picking, it doesn’t matter.

Sure, you can hybrid some of Anton’s stuff. Hybrid is different sound. I agree with @tommo that in that particular example hybrid is way easier. If I were learning that piece, I’d hybrid pick it. BUT I think there is a tone quality, particularly in acoustic playing, where cross picking is the only way to get a super consistent strong attack. It’s actually the whole reason I’ve been working on cross picking. I have a classical background so I can play pretty complex/fast arpeggio patterns with all fingers or hybrid. Skipping strings doesn’t really matter :slight_smile: Even with perfectly shaped/buffed nails I can’t get the same tone as I can with crosspicking (though this is more evident on a steel string acoustic than a nylon string classical).

So there. I’ve added some strawberries to this apples/oranges discussion lol!

This is total opinion, so quite possibly false, but in the experience I’ve had trying out different mechanics, DBX is the most difficult to learn due to the complex/compound joint and muscle motion it requires. So if someone wanted to learn it, they should go to someone who is awesome at it. Anton is awesome at it. So is Troy though, and he’s provided advice on this, free as well as paid. I’m not the biggest CtC fanboy in the world, but there is also no one who is a bigger CtC fanboy than me lol! FWIW, Troy’s free material on crosspicking has all the gold you need to learn it, so that’s cool. That said, I see no reason Anton needs to give his experience away for free. His prerogative. Making a living doing music is super hard. It’s why I stopped trying and became a web developer lol!

There are plenty of AMAZING guitarists who don’t or can’t crosspick though. To each their own. I’ve never been upset when listening to Eric Johnson because he can’t crosspick.

1 Like

Its more of a trying to snuff out an ad bot actually. No need to go into a great analytical detail when I can do it in one sentence.

You tell me what you think.

This was the only price and package I saw.

Moderator hat on: can everybody please go back and edit / delete comments that are not constructive? I feel like we may be going in the direction “endless internet argument about who is the greatest at XYZ”

To be fair I haven’t had time to read all the details so I may be overreacting. In that case I may come back later after reading properly and delete my request.

That’s constructive answer…