Unbelievable Anton Oparin!

Awesome playing!

However, in the spirit of laziness: This is mostly (all?) allternating between a high and a low string with outside picking? why not just hybrid pick so it becomes easy?

1 Like

It is his way of earning some money and thereā€™s nothing wrong with that in my opinion.
Why should he share everything for free? Just because some others do?

There are lots of vids out there where you can watch his awesome playing and even some vids where he teaches.
He has a very indepth knowledege of muscle movements etcā€¦and knows exactly why he does the things a certain way.
What is wrong with charging money if you are interested in this and want t learn from him?

1 Like

Hybrid picking, as I explained already, will give you a different sound between the picked and plucked notes. If you are able to pick every note, like Anton is able to, you have more evenness in sound.
Also you can really attack the strings to get more volume and you will have a greater dynamic range.

He is entitled to do whatever he wants, but if you want to advertise, I can also advertise other people who offer higher quality services for nothing.

I havent seen his gypsy style picking, so talk is cheap.

How do you know what his quality service is compared to others?

And if you are able to play Paganini Caprices with picking at those speeds Gypsy is pretty easy.
And you also do not need the way most Gypsy players hold there pick to be able to play that music.

I would rather watch a violinist play it.

I feel like this discussion is becoming apples and oranges. Or like if I told someone about a restaurant that had the most amazing pizza and they said ā€œWhy would you go there for pizza? I know this place that sells amazing hamburgers. Itā€™s way better!ā€

Lol!

Learning to play from Cesario probably wonā€™t allow you to play the stuff Anton plays. At least not using all picking. But if you donā€™t want to learn crosspicking that doesnā€™t matter. Similarly, learning from Anton probably wonā€™t allow you to immediately play with gypsy picking. But if you donā€™t want to learn gypsy picking, it doesnā€™t matter.

Sure, you can hybrid some of Antonā€™s stuff. Hybrid is different sound. I agree with @tommo that in that particular example hybrid is way easier. If I were learning that piece, Iā€™d hybrid pick it. BUT I think there is a tone quality, particularly in acoustic playing, where cross picking is the only way to get a super consistent strong attack. Itā€™s actually the whole reason Iā€™ve been working on cross picking. I have a classical background so I can play pretty complex/fast arpeggio patterns with all fingers or hybrid. Skipping strings doesnā€™t really matter :slight_smile: Even with perfectly shaped/buffed nails I canā€™t get the same tone as I can with crosspicking (though this is more evident on a steel string acoustic than a nylon string classical).

So there. Iā€™ve added some strawberries to this apples/oranges discussion lol!

This is total opinion, so quite possibly false, but in the experience Iā€™ve had trying out different mechanics, DBX is the most difficult to learn due to the complex/compound joint and muscle motion it requires. So if someone wanted to learn it, they should go to someone who is awesome at it. Anton is awesome at it. So is Troy though, and heā€™s provided advice on this, free as well as paid. Iā€™m not the biggest CtC fanboy in the world, but there is also no one who is a bigger CtC fanboy than me lol! FWIW, Troyā€™s free material on crosspicking has all the gold you need to learn it, so thatā€™s cool. That said, I see no reason Anton needs to give his experience away for free. His prerogative. Making a living doing music is super hard. Itā€™s why I stopped trying and became a web developer lol!

There are plenty of AMAZING guitarists who donā€™t or canā€™t crosspick though. To each their own. Iā€™ve never been upset when listening to Eric Johnson because he canā€™t crosspick.

1 Like

Its more of a trying to snuff out an ad bot actually. No need to go into a great analytical detail when I can do it in one sentence.

You tell me what you think.

This was the only price and package I saw.

Moderator hat on: can everybody please go back and edit / delete comments that are not constructive? I feel like we may be going in the direction ā€œendless internet argument about who is the greatest at XYZā€

To be fair I havenā€™t had time to read all the details so I may be overreacting. In that case I may come back later after reading properly and delete my request.

Thatā€™s constructive answerā€¦

I am just trying to help others not get suckered out of 400 bucks. It would be different if he had a monthly subscription, but to only offer a year seems suspect.

No guitar cover is going to change my view.

Suckered out?
Everyone can decide for themselves if this is something they are willing to pay for.

Since you have not follow this course you canā€™t say if it is worth the money or not.
It could even be that if you did follow it, and it worked out the best possible way for you, you would praise it and say it is worth double the money.

I wouldnt care to because it is a scam.

You are saying itā€™s great and in depth etc etc, but you havenā€™t done it yourselfā€¦ So how do you know itā€™s worth it?

I did never say it is great or worth it, I only said I would probably check it out if I was younger.

That Anton has great in-depth knowledge of muscle movements and how things work is well known.
Check out on the internet how he was taught by his father who also trained Russian athletes.

Anton shows us what is possible with picking if you have the right basics down.
He has a course out in which he teaches you the way he learned.
Anyone can decide for themselves if they are willing to pay the amount of money he asks for it.

Would you pay 400 dollars? His dad was a coach doesnt mean anything in my eyes.

I am sorry, but I stopped living under a rock. There are so many resources now that are free.

Let me guess but his content is much higher quality. Back and forth round we go.

Itā€™s clearly a scam, no other online guitar tuition which isnā€™t a scam has only a yearly fee. I donā€™t think even Tom Hess does that.

This thread here sums it all up:

Firstly, I want to emphasize everything I write here and not trying to be combative or 'internet forum garbage." Iā€™m not trying to start fights or say ā€œthis guy plays better than that guyā€ or anything like that. Iā€™m trying to foster some good discussion. Please donā€™t read any of this as me being irritated because I am not :slight_smile:

What about that post that you linked sums up that itā€™s a scam? I see a user who went through his course as well as Troyā€™s and had good things to say about both.

I see one of our forum members (a Russian speaking member) claiming to know Antonā€™s students and saying many were quite good. He mentions Anton not being a nice guyā€¦weird that after watching his videos I had the exact opposite take away lol! But fine :slight_smile: Maybe he isnā€™t nice and maybe he shames his competition and says he ways are better.

Then I see lots of complaints that his ideology is too strict and that he shouldnā€™t be so narrow minded. I actually agree and think there is never one right way. BUT people can have their own opinion. The crazy DBX technique Anton has does have fewer options, in terms of how to execute that technique, than other picking techniques. For example, Troy shows us how to pick like a beast in several ways. You can do DSX from the wrist or the elbow. You can do USX with the wrist or forearm, or finger motion. Many of of these have ā€˜limitationsā€™ like making sure we only change strings after up or down strokes, or having to add legato etc. Picking everything, like Anton does, leaves us fewer options. So it makes sense to me that he claims his way to do that is the only way. Even though itā€™s not (as Troy has shown us at LEAST 3 ways to do DBX), Iā€™m fine with the advertising of Anton saying ā€œCome learn this from me, Iā€™ll show the best wayā€.

Also, not on that thread, but Iā€™ve spoken with another forum member who went through Antonā€™s school in a PM/DM and he had great things to say about the program. Heā€™s also done Troyā€™s program and had great things to say about it. And my takeaway from his summary is that ā€œall teachers have something and no teacher has everythingā€. Thatā€™s tough to disagree with.

Iā€™m just trying to understand and be a devilā€™s advocate. Maybe Antonā€™s program is expensive and maybe he is closed minded. I definitely prefer Troyā€™s approach. But if people are taking Antonā€™s course and getting better, how exactly is what he offers a scam? Overpriced and scam arenā€™t the same thing, at least not in my mind. A scam is something that doesnā€™t do what it claims to do. If he has droves of students claiming they spent top dollar and didnā€™t get anything out of it, thatā€™s a scam indeed. Iā€™m not seeing any of that though, at least based on what I read here. ACTUALLY we got just the opposite recently of some jerk that went through Antonā€™s school and came here trashing Troy saying his ways were wrong. It was nice seeing him get booted :slight_smile: BUT, thatā€™s one more person saying Antonā€™s product is good, not bad.

Again, I havenā€™t taken his course, but based on everything Iā€™m reading here, it seems like heā€™s getting unfairly trashed. Maybe there are better value courses out there, or even free stuff. Knocking a guy for making a living at what heā€™s great at and seemingly having plenty of happy customers, I dunnoā€¦

Is music school a scam??? That costs WAY more than lessons with Anton lol Iā€™ve got a bachelorā€™s in music. I regret it and should have taken a different course in life, but I never felt ā€˜scammedā€™. The place taught me what they said they would teach me for the price they advertised. I could have paid less to hire a private teacher that knew the same stuff, but that doesnā€™t mean the college I went to was a scam.

1 Like

In this video does he rip as fast as Paul Gilbert? I donā€™t care to watch it again.

Also didnt he also bash the program Paul Gilbert uses at a college? But again I care not watch it again. It was just too pathetic.