Unbelievable Anton Oparin!

I wouldnt care to because it is a scam.

You are saying it’s great and in depth etc etc, but you haven’t done it yourself… So how do you know it’s worth it?

I did never say it is great or worth it, I only said I would probably check it out if I was younger.

That Anton has great in-depth knowledge of muscle movements and how things work is well known.
Check out on the internet how he was taught by his father who also trained Russian athletes.

Anton shows us what is possible with picking if you have the right basics down.
He has a course out in which he teaches you the way he learned.
Anyone can decide for themselves if they are willing to pay the amount of money he asks for it.

Would you pay 400 dollars? His dad was a coach doesnt mean anything in my eyes.

I am sorry, but I stopped living under a rock. There are so many resources now that are free.

Let me guess but his content is much higher quality. Back and forth round we go.

It’s clearly a scam, no other online guitar tuition which isn’t a scam has only a yearly fee. I don’t think even Tom Hess does that.

This thread here sums it all up:

Firstly, I want to emphasize everything I write here and not trying to be combative or 'internet forum garbage." I’m not trying to start fights or say “this guy plays better than that guy” or anything like that. I’m trying to foster some good discussion. Please don’t read any of this as me being irritated because I am not :slight_smile:

What about that post that you linked sums up that it’s a scam? I see a user who went through his course as well as Troy’s and had good things to say about both.

I see one of our forum members (a Russian speaking member) claiming to know Anton’s students and saying many were quite good. He mentions Anton not being a nice guy…weird that after watching his videos I had the exact opposite take away lol! But fine :slight_smile: Maybe he isn’t nice and maybe he shames his competition and says he ways are better.

Then I see lots of complaints that his ideology is too strict and that he shouldn’t be so narrow minded. I actually agree and think there is never one right way. BUT people can have their own opinion. The crazy DBX technique Anton has does have fewer options, in terms of how to execute that technique, than other picking techniques. For example, Troy shows us how to pick like a beast in several ways. You can do DSX from the wrist or the elbow. You can do USX with the wrist or forearm, or finger motion. Many of of these have ‘limitations’ like making sure we only change strings after up or down strokes, or having to add legato etc. Picking everything, like Anton does, leaves us fewer options. So it makes sense to me that he claims his way to do that is the only way. Even though it’s not (as Troy has shown us at LEAST 3 ways to do DBX), I’m fine with the advertising of Anton saying “Come learn this from me, I’ll show the best way”.

Also, not on that thread, but I’ve spoken with another forum member who went through Anton’s school in a PM/DM and he had great things to say about the program. He’s also done Troy’s program and had great things to say about it. And my takeaway from his summary is that “all teachers have something and no teacher has everything”. That’s tough to disagree with.

I’m just trying to understand and be a devil’s advocate. Maybe Anton’s program is expensive and maybe he is closed minded. I definitely prefer Troy’s approach. But if people are taking Anton’s course and getting better, how exactly is what he offers a scam? Overpriced and scam aren’t the same thing, at least not in my mind. A scam is something that doesn’t do what it claims to do. If he has droves of students claiming they spent top dollar and didn’t get anything out of it, that’s a scam indeed. I’m not seeing any of that though, at least based on what I read here. ACTUALLY we got just the opposite recently of some jerk that went through Anton’s school and came here trashing Troy saying his ways were wrong. It was nice seeing him get booted :slight_smile: BUT, that’s one more person saying Anton’s product is good, not bad.

Again, I haven’t taken his course, but based on everything I’m reading here, it seems like he’s getting unfairly trashed. Maybe there are better value courses out there, or even free stuff. Knocking a guy for making a living at what he’s great at and seemingly having plenty of happy customers, I dunno…

Is music school a scam??? That costs WAY more than lessons with Anton lol I’ve got a bachelor’s in music. I regret it and should have taken a different course in life, but I never felt ‘scammed’. The place taught me what they said they would teach me for the price they advertised. I could have paid less to hire a private teacher that knew the same stuff, but that doesn’t mean the college I went to was a scam.

1 Like

In this video does he rip as fast as Paul Gilbert? I don’t care to watch it again.

Also didnt he also bash the program Paul Gilbert uses at a college? But again I care not watch it again. It was just too pathetic.

Did you even visit your schools library? I mean you get access to so many different outlets at a school. Don’t even try to compare this one guys resource to a college. Are you serious?

Werent you the guy that was saying apples and oranges kinda thing?

More like a fish compared to an ocean.

I am just not seeing anyone play as good besides the guy advertising a car payment for access to a program where I see nothing that entices me at all.

If it was so amazing we all would be Paul Gilbert, but I imagine I could go find some of the best covers on YouTube, and ask them in the comments if this guy taught them. Haha dont make me laugh. Get a grip.

As an individual running an online school, I’m going to ask you all to please think twice before calling something a “scam”. If you’ve used the service and felt that there was some type of deception going on where it was billed as one thing but ended up being another, then perhaps.

But if you signed up and simply didn’t like it, or you didn’t sign up at all, then please stop calling this a “scam”. Personally, I haven’t signed up for Anton’s school but I have traded the occasional email with him, as well as at least a couple other people on here who have used the school. It appears to be a legitimate business and as of my last email with him he was definitely involved in running it.

As far as offering only a yearly option, Scott’s Bass Lessons either used to do this or perhaps still does. If you’ve watched any of Scott’s videos, what you see there is pretty much exactly what you get. He is a super nice dude and very far from a scammer. In his opinion there just wasn’t much point to nickel-and-diming people for a month here and there. It just adds to the overhead of managing all the signups, cancels, and inevitable customer service interaction. Yes, you’ll lose a few customers but this is a choice to get a certain kind of customer, and there are lots of reasons why you might elect to go this way as an instructional site owner — especially if you are small. It’s all about the business and the people running it.

Coincidentally, I just filled out a USPS mail fraud report today about an actual scam ( https://mr.fluffyfriend.com ), who took my credit card purchase for a comfortable-looking cat bed and never delivered anything. Customer service responded with a fake tracking number and everything. Should have checked reviews before typing my details into a tiny mom-and-pop site. You can be lulled into a sense of complacency on the internet. It was a healthy reminder.

3 Likes

The deception lies in what the guy in the video was claiming.

But like I said I dont care to watch it again or analyze it a second time.

Which video are you speaking about, a video Anton made, or someone else? If somebody is making claims about the service and it’s not Anton himself, then it’s just some dude saying things on the internet. You can’t get too worked up about that. If I had a nickel for everyone on a forum somewhere saying things about our teaching that simply weren’t accurate. Hell, people even come here and say inaccurate things about our teaching. When it’s willfull and related to self-promotion, I will ban, but this is our forum and I can do that. The rest of the world, I can’t control that so take everything with a grain of salt.

He specifically bashes Paul Gilberts program if I remember correctly, then makes claims Anton is the only virtuoso, or something to that nature. I had to stop it was making me laugh.

That sounds like guitar internet. Again, business owner making deceptive claims or bashing us / others, maybe we do something about it. Rando on the internet, welcome to the 21st century.

1 Like

Like I hate being rude to JoeBegly, not really trying to, but sometimes its best to call guys out. I just dont want people to get played. If he is a good guy lets see it, but from what his students are saying, and how his online website looks, it looks and sounds shady.

I’m a wordy guy, trying to do better. That sums up the entire intent of my post, many thanks!

Watch this new vid of Anton on picking technique where he goes into details of muscle movement and showing the limitations of well known players using their technique compared to his.

At first I was like: Wtf! How can you say that for instance Guthrie Govan has sync problems playing faster stuff!
But when he shows examples and then plays anything those players do with his technique sounding better then the original I have to admit he is right.
He also shows he can play all the stuff with their technique, sounding exactly the same. But when using his technique it just is more accurate.

So, his claim that there is a universal technique (his way) seems to be proven here.
He really can play anything with his picking technique at the highest level possible.

It is a long 2 hour vid but you have watch it completely to understand and give an opinion.

5 Likes

If I only had all of Guthrie’s flaws

Tell you what, I’d settle for half of them

2 Likes

You only watched 4 minutes how can you make any constructive comment then?

He shows, not only talks, how things of what he thinks are great players sometimes can be played even more accurate using his technique. You can hear and see it.for yourself if you watch the whole thing.
It is all just about using the right technique to be able to play anything without limitations and without sync problems or getting fatigue.

If he was only talking I also would give this a big thumb down, but he shows it.

It does not take away anything of the musicality of a player like Guthrie, that guy is insane and one of my favorit players ever!
But his picking technique abviously has it’s limitations compared to Anton’s.

4 Likes