Translating table tapping speed to tremolo

I just thought that it would be interesting to check how long would it take for an expert player like you who also has all the knowledge about the motions and tons of experience in learning them through experimentation to learn to play a single note tremolo with the fretting hand.

Iā€™ve actually tried that recently. We talked about that in another thread, I forget where. I could do wrist motion right away. Which is interesting because I had to ā€œlearnā€ wrist motion with my picking hand. But with the left hand, itā€™s the only motion I could do. In fact I couldnā€™t do any kind of forearm motion at all, even deliberately.

Linking up the hands was super weird. Trying to fret anything with my right hand causes the picking motion to just freeze. Which isnā€™t that unusual in the early stages of learning new motions, and weā€™ve seen this in clips here on the forum.

I like the left-handed test because it reminds me of what beginner-ness feel like, and what challenges completely new players will possibly encounter. I donā€™t know if Iā€™ll continue with lefty playing, there are only so many hours in a day. But itā€™s cool to mess around with.

Hi all - I made a little web thing to test your table tap speed. Itā€™s barely functional, but itā€™s functional. Desktop only for now, so letā€™s get those mouses wiggling!

http://garspout.com/tapper/

If itā€™s actually useful to people, Iā€™d be happy to fix it up a bit.

4 Likes

Pretty interesting. It seems to read pretty instantaneously, like it reports for every two crossings. Might be good to average over a larger number of crossings to get more stable results.

For example:
tapper test1

I was even getting in the upper 400s at some points. But not for very long.

On the other hand, I sometimes found my mouse migrating to one side or the other and not registering strokes at all, so averaging over too many crossings might be problematic. I ended up making the window as thin as possible and moving it all the way the left side of my screen so that the motion was constrained by the edge. That helped some. Thereā€™s probably a software solution as well. Some way to keep the cursor constrained to the blue and red section while testing or something?

A very nice MVP, though. I can see it being very useful.

I find that I end up doing a rotator cuff movement when I try to go as fast as possible. I wonder if this is what accounts for @Troyā€™s ā€œstupid-fastā€ speeds? I think I recall that rotator cuff involvement is suspected in the Zakk Wylde ā€˜mystery mechanicā€™, but otherwise Iā€™m not sure how to incorporate that into a picking movement. It seems like this might point to a possible difference between tabletop speeds and usable picking motions.

When I constrained myself to wrist only, I was getting ~250 pretty regularly. I canā€™t usually go much faster than 180 when I test on a guitar with a metronome.

Very cool. Thanks for building this.

I donā€™t think so. When you look at what the pick is doing, itā€™s not moving along a path that the rotator cuff would be able to create. Itā€™s moving mainly along a wrist path. Hereā€™s an update:

I can now do this on a string, in a more typical playing position. And I can switch between upstrokes and alternate. Obviously this is all still a little wild. Sometimes I hit more than one string, or miss the string. Sometimes I do alternate when I mean to do upstroke, and vice versa. But it appears that this is not some kind of fluke, i.e. it really is wrist motion going at stupid fast speeds.

Obviously, these pickstrokes are yuuuuge. Iā€™m not trying to ā€œdoā€ that. This is just a byproduct of trying to go fast with maximum comfort. Other muscles still tense up causing me to stop, like shoulder or traps. Totally weird muscles that shouldnā€™t be involved here. Maybe thatā€™s the rotator cuff thing youā€™re describing. But the occurrence of that is decreasing as the motions become more memorized and I learn to start and stop them, and switch between them. Certain attempts at this feel completely light, where there is no elbow involvement and only the wrist (i.e. hand) moves. On those attempts I can hit 260. I havenā€™t filmed them but I would guess the motion is less wild there as well.

Iā€™ve never worked on this kind of playing in terms of thrash rhythms. Itā€™s a bit like ordering something on Amazon a long time ago and forgetting it was out of stock. Then one day it just arrives. Oh look!

4 Likes

Cool idea! Just a tip for anyone doing this: itā€™s probably worth it to disable mouse acceleration in the OS. On Windows itā€™s ā€œEnchance pointer precisionā€ in mouse settings.

1 Like

Yes. Thatā€™s much better. Thanks!

@Shredd @induction Thanks for the feedback. I just updated.

Letā€™s call the border between the blue and the red ā€˜the stringā€™. The app averages your bpm over the last 16 string crossings, and it updates every 8 string crossings.

Constraining the mouse is a cool idea but I donā€™t think itā€™s possible. It did expose a bug with the way I was counting crossings, though, which I think is fixed now.

Fakery alert! Heā€™s playing ā€œpointy guitar riffsā€, but his guitar is clearly not pointy. Busted! :rofl:

Fantastic tool thank you so much for building this! I also noticed an overnight improvement!

I would say that this test is a nice complement to those in the primer. Depending on how you hold the mouse and generate the motion, it may measure the speed of different joints / combinations thereof.

I agree. Much better now. Works even better for me with a touchpad because itā€™s easier to try different wrist angles, and mechanics. Forearm is difficult with a mouse, but much easier with a touchpad.

Thanks again.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Pepepicks 260bpm tremolo

Thanks for checking it out. Glad you liked it.

Troy, I actually really love that youā€™re managing some very high speed play with the one-o-clock motion because it brings me back to the first person I saw online trying to scientifically analyse picking technique, Tuck Andress. He didnā€™t have anywhere near the understanding at the time that you have (upstroke escape is all he discussed), but he referred to a motion as ā€œoscillationā€ which was the flextension motion and favoured it as a picking mechanic.

" Oscillation: Lay your wrist down again, but with the bone nearest the little finger resting on the surface, and the bone nearest the thumb up in the air. Your wrist should be rotated 90 degrees from where it was before, rolled away from your body. Restrain it. Youā€™ll have to hold the pen differently, but now if you rotate you will just make dots. The solution is oscillation, the same kind of motion used in knocking on a door or playing piano from the wrist. It is what most people use when writing, also, although usually with more like a 45 degree wrist offset. Now the pen makes long arcs again."

ā€¦and laterā€¦

ā€œ(1) It can be speeded up almost without limit (20 notes per second) without tension. As in translation, at the fastest speeds there will be a gradual transition into spasmodic, vibratory motion, but it is far more controllable and sounds much better because the hand is equally relaxed at all speeds.ā€

I love that this has sort of become a full circle for me in my examining the science of guitar picking.

Huh. I read this years ago but really only paid attention to the USX part. I mostly skipped over all this stuff about the joint motions. I donā€™t remember this 20 notes per second thing at all, but I probably wouldnā€™t have noticed since picking speed and how fast people did or didnā€™t play wasnā€™t anything I had thought about at that point. Itā€™s amazing how far he got with this little article. Pieces of all kinds of stuff are in there.

What heā€™s describing as vibrational I donā€™t experience ā€” it sounds more like what hyperpicking elbow players describe. Itā€™s possible that thereā€™s a faster mode of this I havenā€™t actually done. Does he mention pick grip at all with respect to the flextension motion? Because with your arm at nearly 90 degrees obviously a typical index grip isnā€™t going to work. Or is he talking about doing this with a pen, not a guitar pick?

Tuck was and is very much a George Benson fan and so he suggested holding the pick like Benson did - he had a whole analysis of various ā€œpick gripā€ styles in the article.

If youā€™d like to read it itā€™s over here on the internet wayback machine. http://archive.is/5Hrj8

Hereā€™s an update on the ā€œfast tapping motionsā€ experimentation. Iā€™ve been tooling around with getting the motion to happen from a Gypsy-style flexed wrist orientation:

As far as I can tell, this is basically the same ā€” or very similar ā€” motion from the earlier trailing edge clip, just performed from a different arm orientation.

Iā€™m just winging it here to see if I can get any kind of multi-string action going, accuracy be damned. I thought this was DSX, so Iā€™m intentionally playing a DSX phrase. However as you can see in slow motion, the motion is actually USX and Iā€™m just powering through the string changes. I couldnā€™t really tell as I was doing this. This is just a testament to how far good hand synchronization will get you, even if you donā€™t pay any attention at all to escape. Thatā€™s the lesson ā€” donā€™t overthink things! Go fast and be synchronized.

This is ā€œonlyā€ 240, which is a crazy thing to say, but thereā€™s definitely more in the tank here. This still feels kind of weird and tensiony / awkward. This form in particular, Iā€™ve actually used quite a bit for things like strumming. I never would have guessed it actually went this fast were it not for the table-tapping tests. Sometimes these things are just hiding in plain sight.

I now suspect that a lot of very fast picking techniques are some version of these more vertical type wrist motions, closer to flexion-extension, requiring these ā€œalternativeā€ arm positions and pick grips.

2 Likes

Well, you are off topic because the topic here is ā€œtremoloā€, but you are playing one note per pickstroke!

Do you have an understanding of why the ā€œmore verticalā€ wrist motions are faster? Or is it just an experimental observation at this stage?

I havenā€™t carefully analysed the numbers of the various forummers that reported the ā€œspeed testsā€ results - but indeed I vaguely recall most people getting to very high speeds with the knocking (12-6 ish) motion.

1 Like

Have you had any more progress, Troy? Iā€™m very excited to see how this more flexion-extension based picking style matures.

I need to try this for wrist based downstrokes. I can do it fast using the trigger style grip with lightly supinated arm, however that is not how I play normally. I use angle pad, or a version of it, with a medium-ish supinated arm. So this makes the wrist motion slightly different and my brain canā€™t get it going at the moment. I get brief periods where itā€™s like ā€œThatā€™s it!ā€, then itā€™s gone and I donā€™t know what I did to get it going :rofl:

Maybe it has to do with the larger radius that the pick is moving on. Larger radius means that the pick travels farther with the same angular displacement, so the displacement can be smaller to effect the same pick travel distance. Picking speed will be determined by how fast you move from one angle to the other and back to the first, so smaller angular displacement = faster, and since you donā€™t have to change the angle as much, the means less momentum and faster potential reaction time.

1 Like