Unbelievable Anton Oparin!

Also, if you’re content with your technique, that’s fine, I genuinely mean it. Not everyone wants to play with Anton’s technique. But why criticize Anton for making the argument that universal picking technique exists and give hell to those who are interested in it ? No one is making the claim that everyone should play like Anton, not even Anton himself…

2 Likes

IDK, you are slandering him pretty bad in your above replies. Also I will leave it, I’m happy with his lessons. I genuinely appreciate your concern, but Anton is legit, Troy seems to think so, as well as most of his students.

4 Likes

Let’s say there is some athlete that found a certain way/technique which allows athletes to run faster without using too much energie and getting injured to quick. Then he shows the world how he does it and that it works.
Then everybody would say wow, this is amazing and is the way young athletes should be teached!

Anton shows us how he can pull off the most difficult picking stuff there is without any problems whatsoever.
If you have ears and eyes you can hear and see for yourself.
Wha more is there to say…?

3 Likes

Just look in the forum section.
I was here long before I knew Anton.
Even was a paid member for some time and posted some vids.
So again you are drawing wrong conclusions!

4 Likes

I’m about an hour into the video where he just finished analyzing Guthrie. Trying to be as unbiased as possible here. I think Anton’s technique is freaken awesome, I just don’t know if he’s giving me enough taste to have me spend all the money on it. I notice in the YouTube video description box he’s now offering some cheaper more specific alternatives so maybe I’ll indulge just to see. He does mention at some point that going fast right from the beginning is not good (don’t remember how he specifically phrases that statement) and he also says that playing slow vs fast should be the same motions. Also, he shows a video of a student having better synchronization than Guthrie but it seemed like the students hand sync was in fact a little off at times, idk might have to watch that part again. Maybe some of his students can chip in here. Are his materials really some ideas that jumped out at you or is it stuff that’s been Taught before and can probably be found elsewhere? Either way he’s a solid player

3 Likes

You mean this guy? guitarenthusiast

Will’s alternate picking thread
(https://forum.troygrady.com/t/wills-alternate-picking-thread/29155)

1 Like

If his content is good, let it speak for itself.

A bunch of weird people constantly coming on here and acting really weird about him isn’t the best promotional tactic out there.

4 Likes

awesome thread and big fan of that player’s posts and replies. But his right hand does not look like Anton’s if you compare videos. Unless Im confused, that thread doesn’t involve Anton too much and I thought Anton’s thing was to have his students basically mirror his techniques?

Edit: And believe me im very tempted to buy some of Anton’s materials just because it could be worth it so Im really not trying to come across as discrediting anyone or anything. I can just see how others think Anton comes across as a “snake oil salesman”. Also, the site he put in his youtube video description box doesnt even work lol so i cant buy if i wanted to lol

1 Like

Moderator’s hat on again. I feel like most of the points to be made have been made, so we should probably move on from the “who is the greatest” conversation.

Also, a bit of homework for myself: I’ll have to see if it’s worth keeping all these recent posts or if I should do some cleaning.

1 Like

PS: @RiceBeansPlantains burner accounts are not appreciated here. But we’ll be happy to have you in the community if you respect the guidelines:

I can’t speak for Anton or his technique because I’m not a student of his, nor have I paid for any of his material. All I did was watch the video and remember seeing one of the frequent CtC members on there. Also, if memory serves, Anton mentioned that guitarenthusiast’s right hand wasn’t perfect; just more synched that Guthrie’s.

Really I was more interested in seeing gypsy-jazz guy, or anyone else, play anything even close to what Anton can do with that technique. It’s easy to tout people and techniques, but to deliver is completely different. I’m sure most of us here know that he can’t play those lines with the gypsy technique and that’s why he behaved the way he did. It’s too bad because if he could it would essentially mean Anton is wrong and add credence to some of what CtC and others propose.

In the end, I care about truth and playing the guitar better. It matters not if it comes from a Russian kid, Troy Grady at Cracking the Code, or from dumpster fire.

2 Likes

Yeah for me it’s wayyyyy Less about “who’s the greatest” and more about am I being shown enough to want to buy more educational products. Which I know sounds silly cuz we just got a 2 hour video, but I’m still not sure if I’m convinced that Anton has different ideas to offer vs him just being a little technically better than others at alternate picking. I will be able to make a decision when the site works. I like spending money impulsively so I’ll prob check it out haha

1 Like

You have to be prepared to build ur technique from the ground up :wink: it will take long, it will be hard

I have deleted my comments. My apologies to anyone I caused offence to. Very bad day, I lost my cool. Anyway, apologies to all and I’ll go pop a Valium :love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

The discussion is not about who is the greatest at all, that’s all about taste.
It is all about the awesome picking technique of Anton wich allows him, as he clearly shows, to play anything without any limitations.
He clearly shows the limitations other techniques have and shows thatvwith his way things can sound better.

Troy also showed us for instance the swiping of Steve Morse.
No one bashed Troy for saying/showing that Steve swipes. It’s just something that comes with the picking technique he uses. Steve is an awesome player who found a way to mask this swiping enough for not getting in the way of what he wants to express. But it is there and if you listen good enough you can hear it. So if you realy do not want that swiping noise, Steve’s way of picking is not for you.

And yes, Anton asks money for entering his school, what’s wrong with that?

What stands is that Anton realy shows us that his way of picking has no limitations whatsoever.
He claims that it is a techinique which can be learned by anyone at his school.
If that is true i cant’s say for sure, let’s wait till some students of him after studying with him for several years show up on the internet.
But he realy does understand everything about muscle movements, much more (beside Troy) than i have heard sofar from other players. And i can imagine that if you are learning things his way from a certain age it will work for anyone who is dedicated enough.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: 90s Charcoal 570 (plus bonus cats)

It’s ok to be skeptical, but there is no need to let his content speak for himself. You can address the arguments in his video, and if you have issues with them, you can debunk them. The truth of his claims can be evaluated right here right now, what do you even mean let his content speak for himself ??? If you mean you want proof it works in real life, Anton is living proof, and his more advanced russian students are amazing as well. And if you mean that we’re all Anton-Bots (lol), you’re saying you’re annoyed at people sharing his youtube videos on ctc ??? As far as I’m concerned Andyjoy made a “legal” post that consisted of Anton’s video, you can criticize it if you want, your comment is just another conspiracy you have no evidence for. Let’s discuss technique and have fun, which is what this forum is all about…come on man.

I mean, it’s radically better than when the Tom Hess guys used to come on here; at least Anton can actually play the guitar.

1 Like

The dude can obviously play, and skipping through the latest video proves that. Everyone will have their own bias on what would make him “the best” (him playing a particular style or piece of music, e.g. @bradejensen wanting him to play perfect Gypsy jazz). That must be tiring for the dude, as there as all kinds of opinions on who’s the best picker (which is why the last video he posted is commendable and impressive).

That being said, the way he pitches this approach kind of sucks. Definitely in the “I won’t tell you a single thing until I have your money first” style, which is ballsy unless you have some really notable students to prove it.

Maybe we could get some actually clips from his students (@Veryslowandinnacurat for example)?

4 Likes

I’d be really interested to see some of the Oparin students in this thread posting their own (current) playing instead of just frothing at the mouth at the mere implication that their teacher might not be the Second Coming of Guitar Jesus. Demanding evidence works both ways, and simply saying “there’s the facts! It’s science!” doesn’t make it so (source: am a scientist).

(Ooops, @Pepepicks66 beat me to it!)

3 Likes